Thread: Texas specials or 57/62 p/u's

Texas specials or 57/62 p/u's

I have a mim 60's strat that I like except the p/u's sound harsh & brittle. Does anyone know what these p/u's are? I'm thinking about replacing them with texas specials or 57/26 reissues.

The 57/62ri pickups sound sorta thin in a poplar body like the MIM 60's Classic has.

Ive had good success in this model Strat using Fralin Vintage Hots and also Fender Fat 50's pickups.

The CS69's and 57/62ri's to me sound too thin in a poplar body they are fine in Alder or ASH body.

I wasn't sure what wood the body is, it's sunburst & kinda looks like ash. Are all mim 60's poplar? I'm not looking for a real hot sound, more of a smooth tone. I don't like ice picky tones, so I never use the bridge p/u.
    Last edited by Gizmo59; 07-31-2002 at 02:06 PM.

Forum Member
    From what I've read the 60's MIM reissues have alder bodies in a sunburst finish and poplar in the other colors. I like the custom shop Fat 50's pickups a lot. I didn't care for the Texas specials at all.

2 entirely different pickups, the TS are rude and in your face, the 57's are vintage.

Some folks diss em...but, here's the key.....the TS MUST be setup properly, lower than usual and with nickle strings, then they really COOK!!:wail2 :wail2 :wail2

Originally posted by Gizmo59
    I wasn't sure what wood the body is, it's sunburst & kinda looks like ash. Are all mim 60's poplar? I'm not looking for a real hot sound, more of a smooth tone. I don't like ice picky tones, so I never use the bridge p/u.
    It may well be an ash veneer over poplar, depending on what year the guitar is from, but I'm not sure.

As far as getting a smoother tone for your strat, I don't suggest texas specials--those are pretty edgy. I like Fralins, myself, but vintage style single coils don't really sound "smooth" in my mind. Of course, everyone has their own definition of "smooth" I guess, so who knows.

You might try some of those single-coil sized humbuckers from Seymore Duncan or even Lace Sensors. Those pickups are fairly dark. Higher output pickups, often times, will actually sound less edgy than vintage style single coils, which are valued for the glassier, brighter sound.
    Last edited by Riscchip; 07-31-2002 at 02:39 PM.
    --Carson

http://www.riscchip.com

Your 60's Classic is solid Alder since its Sunburst.

The Texas Specials are hotter pickups than the 57/62ri's. The 57/62 are 5.6k the Texas Specials are 6.2-6.5-7.6k.

The 57/62 are clear tones with that glassy sound the Texas Specials sound harsher with more grit.

If you like to get your distorted sounds from amp pickups the TX Specials will work ok if you like a real clean tone and get your distortion from pedals then the 57/62's will do what you want.

Forum Member
    Standin' at the crossroads, shoutin' at the devil.
    Neither. Go with a set of Rio Grande Bass Bottoms. They're absolutely killer. They give incredible vintage sounds when clean and with a couple puch-pulls you can get sweet near humbucking/out of phase-ish sounds. :)
    The man with magic hands.

either go with fender fat 50's or van zandt vintage plus' I love the vintage plus but for about $50 bucks less u can have the fat 50's, they are just about equal, I feel the van zandt edge them out a little bit tone wise. They are a little bit sweeter

I'd go with any pickups from the Custom Shop!

Two words... Abigail Ybarra :tw59
    Don't you know that it's a fool that plays it cool...

IMHO Texas Specials sound like midrange mud. If you like the classic tones from a Strat, I would go with the 57/62 pups, hands down. However, there are alot of people who like the TS's, but they were NOT for me, yuck!

Well again, it's CRITICAL that the height be adjusted right on Texas Specials, much lower than normal, that and nickle strings in the right Strat and you can really make use of their capabilities then.

Check out my pups fer sale you know where...
    Jason
    The Bear Guy

After much deliberation, I have decided to try a set of custom shop 69's. I'll update as soon as I get them installed & try them out.

Gizmo,
    Those pups sounded great in the '69 Time Machine Strat I had. Let us know how they work out for you.