Thread: My Mickey Mouse Stompbox

My Mickey Mouse Stompbox

Now I've used a RAT since they first hit the market decades ago. And nearly every variation of them too. But a couple years ago I snagged a clever copy of one made by Biyang called the Mouse, or DS-8. Though discontinued, it's still seen at some sites for sale and such, but the thing is amazing. With a three way mini toggle switch it hits different parts of the circuit to include different diodes and such to give three very distinct different RAT pedals in one. The standard RAT 2 style, a Turbo RAT, and one they call Max which is smokin'.

Though it has an even larger footprint than a RAT 2, it has it's power jack on the back side and uses standard A/C adapter and polarity instead of the 1/8" female jack like on the RAT. So it's more board friendly and needs no adapter for it. Also the filter is conventional in that it gets more treble clockwise rather than the opposite as with the RAT.

I bought it with no real hope of it being like my beloved RAT, but I was wrong. In the "Normal" stage, it's just like a RAT 2. Same tones and depth with lots of RAT-like grind or that smooth singing tone that one gives when set that way. But the other two additional settings were the icing on the cake for me. Very unexpected really. For, if I remember right, around $40 I got this thing new and it knocked my socks off. Ok, maybe my socks stayed in place, but it did impress me just the same.... So I call it my Micky Mouse Stompbox and I think for what it is, it makes a great addition to my distortion arsenal, of which I have many (most stay in the box until I feel the need for a different sonic bombast! One thing for sure, it ain't Mickey Mouse about how it develops some serious distortion!

Anyway, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
    I forgot what I was going to say...

Re: My Mickey Mouse Stompbox

Good review, bro! I'm on the lookout for one over here because of your recommendation!

Good review.

The RAT is one helluva versatile pedal. It is meant to be a real dirty badass, but guys like David Gilmour have them in their chains.

I really want to give it a shot sometime.

I love a good Rat! I usually prefer them for overdrive use more than I do overdrive pedals.

I use a clone that I built on a Tonepad PCB. It has a switch for the Ruetz mod but I prefer it stock. I should install a switch for the Turbo Rat's diode clipping. I had one of those but gave it to my nephew when he picked up guitar almost 20 years ago!

When I built my clone I wired the tone knob to be "normal". I always hated that RAT tone knobs worked backwards... I also lowered the negative feedback in the circuit, so it gets squirrely when it's really dirty. But I love it as a semi dirty boost, which I think is what you mean when you talk about "that tone"?

Thanx for sharing, I'll look into this pedal!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"