Thread: NG(O)D

NG(O)D

Ordered... Les Paul Special Semi-hollow body for an insanely low price. Glad I brought Mrs. Junkie with me - I'd never have gotten it if she hadn't said "get it"!.

These are a special run exclusive to Guitar Center - a really good value...

Info here...
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Forum Member

Re: NG(O)D

That looks really sweet! Almost like a violin.
    Got them Statesboro Blues

I'm looking forward to a Les Paul that weighs less than a car. :)

Looks like I may have gotten the last one. Hopefully it is in good shape.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Nice!

That is a good value! Very cool!

Got it for less than a grand!

Pretty dang nice, Nick!

I just put one of the new LP Jr. TV's on layaway - $649 brand new with a gig bag (they come with a really deluxe hardshell case but the House of Guitars are keeping those cases for the really pricy Les Pauls and doing these for a serious price break ($200 less than internet price) with a Gibson Gig bag - and why would you want a super-deluxe hard case for an LP Jr.?

The finish is pretty darned nice - it's glossy and the guitar feels light and lively. The pickup sounded incredible, the action was right, and that robo-tuner seems awesome! (Plus, if figure, if I hate the tuner I can always replace it with "real" tuners.).

I read the literature and it looks like you can set it up to retune you to an open tuning with just a few button presses and a few strums. I need this, as I hate bringing an extra guitar (I bring two, don't want to bring 3) just for the open-G songs I have written. So after Christmas it's NGGD for me...(New Gibson Guitar Day).

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenjangle View Post
    Pretty dang nice, Nick!

I just put one of the new LP Jr. TV's on layaway - $649 brand new with a gig bag (they come with a really deluxe hardshell case but the House of Guitars are keeping those cases for the really pricy Les Pauls and doing these for a serious price break ($200 less than internet price) with a Gibson Gig bag - and why would you want a super-deluxe hard case for an LP Jr.?

The finish is pretty darned nice - it's glossy and the guitar feels light and lively. The pickup sounded incredible, the action was right, and that robo-tuner seems awesome! (Plus, if figure, if I hate the tuner I can always replace it with "real" tuners.).

I read the literature and it looks like you can set it up to retune you to an open tuning with just a few button presses and a few strums. I need this, as I hate bringing an extra guitar (I bring two, don't want to bring 3) just for the open-G songs I have written. So after Christmas it's NGGD for me...(New Gibson Guitar Day).
    Some of Gibson's best guitars are the cheapest ones. This one isn't perfect, but pretty darn close. It only weighs 7.2 pounds, too. You will love that guitar!

A lot of guys hate that robo-tuner thing.

Hey Nick, is that LP you got one of the Studio models? How did it get so cheap?

JB

It was a special run made exclusively for GC. It has no binding like a studio, but it is hollowed out and has an F Hole. You can see some short cuts in the finishing, but nothing I find objectionable. It's a really nice guitar - coil tapped Classic 57 pickups and Nitro finish. I could easily see this going for more than it did - even with my $200 coupon. I wouldn't go out and buy a guitar with the robot tuning, but if I liked the guitar, I wouldn't NOT get it either. I'd actually like to try one out. I think it would be cool.

Nick, it IS cool. What remains to be seen is what happens when the battery runs down, 'cause I've heard they're hard to tune without the machine.

But anyway, the price was right. Though it does seem silly to have a robot tuner on such a simple rock axe.

I sold some pedals last night. Another half dozen and I pick the axe up early in time for Christmas...

Rickenjangle, my sole advice:

If I were you, I'd try and check out this min-e-tune or whatever they call this abomination before I buy the guitar.

Ok, you are right, it is SUPPOSED to help with tuning and switch between different tunings... The only problem is: many people are saying it doesn't work properly.

Seen tons of videos and read tons of reviews indicating it was a faux pas.

I can't tell, never tried one (nor will I, I HATE anything digital when it comes to playing music), so I think you'd better see for yourself and take your own conclusions.s a

Please excuse my own prejudice, but to ME, a guitar will always be all about wood, strings, 2 or 3 magnets, frets, manual tuners and my 2 hands. But hey, that's me...

Unless, of course, you don't mind having to switch tuners for aftermarket ones anyway.

Just my 2 cents.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by de Melo View Post
    Please excuse my own prejudice, but to ME, a guitar will always be all about wood, strings, 2 or 3 magnets, frets, manual tuners and my 2 hands. But hey, that's me...
    +1

I have a similar perspective regarding guitar amps......

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Nick Shoots.....

HE SCORES! The TFF Wins the Pennant !!!
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

I'd like to play with one of the robo tuner Lesters. Might be fun, and if you hate it you can always change the tuners over to Grovers in a couple hours, so the risk is minimal.

But the techno geek in me is intrigued.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Hey, I played with a robo tune LP today. I gotta say, it's freakin' amazing. I may have to have one. I love gizmonic devices.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I'd love to try one, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Hey, I played with a robo tune LP today. I gotta say, it's freakin' amazing. I may have to have one. I love gizmonic devices.
    You've always been willing to push the tech envelope - and have never had a problem with integrating old-school with new-school...

Speaking of which, there are two Power Engines on CL locally for sale - I briefly considered buying both (price is killer - 1 for $200/2 for $375) but then realized I like having an amp sitting behind me that tells everyone that I like Vox or Marshall or Fender amps. Shallow? Yep, you bet. I'm a brand whore...