Thread: Basic Man Cave recording setup?

Forum Member

Basic Man Cave recording setup?

What's a good basic man cave recording setup? Want to get myself out of my comfort zone of playing existing songs and start participating in and recording online jams. I don't want anything fancy so I was thinking about running a mic I to my M-Audio FasTrack and then into GarageBand on my Mac.

Would just an SM-57, stand, and a cable work?
    Got them Statesboro Blues

Re: Basic Man Cave recording setup?

That would do it. GarageBand has some fun amp sims too, so you can go direct and save a lot of hassle, plus you can change the amp and add effects to change it up.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Re: Basic Man Cave recording setup?

I bought Positive Grid's Bias amp modeler and have liked it better than the presets in GarageBand. Still not 100% like playing the real thing but it's really impressive nonetheless. It'll be great for playing during nap time or after bedtime when little Tugboat arrives. I can get a pretty convincing "Mississippi Queen" with the 50W Plexi and my Korina DC Special.

Still will probably get a mic setup at some point in the future but guitar purchases are about done for a while. Want a wah pedal and the soundboard, back and side wood, and smaller stuff (bridge, bridge plate, and brace wood) and that will do it until next year. I'll be spending the rest on diapers!
    Got them Statesboro Blues