Thread: Compound radius fretboard

Forum Member

Compound radius fretboard

Has anyone here played or own a compound radius fretboard guitar? (9.5-14"). How do you like it? How does it play and feel? I am interested and I haven't had an opportunity to try one. Thank you in advance.

Forum Member

Re: Compound radius fretboard

I have a 12-16" compound board and it's comfy. I don't really notice it while playing that much. Bending notes is easier without fretting out but I can't say I actually feel any difference while playing.

The only way I can tell there is a difference is when I switchback to a straight radius board.

I have a 7-1/4 to 9-1/2" compound radius fretboard on my Strat and I couldn't feel it. I measured it and it's there, real subtle though.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

I have a 10' - 16' . Love it.
    Mark

I have a superstrat with a compound neck that I had made in the 90's. Nowadays I find it a bit too flat at the dusty end, but at the time that's what I asked for. I've played other less extreme compund necks and as above - I don't notice it after a minute or two. Definitely helps stop bent notes fretting out if you don't like a high action.

When You point your finger 'cause your plan fell through, you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.

I've got the compound radius with a soft V neck (Am Deluxe Strat)...great comfort. Bends do not fret-out with low action. But prefer a higher action to facilitate starting a bend.

I also like the asymmetrical and compound neck on a Les Paul. It feels flatter and wider.

Old Rockers never die; we just fade away!
    会長

TFF Stage Crew

I've played a bunch & frankly I can't tell the difference, other than the problems associated w/a small radius fingerboard are gone.

I'm with 71818, I can't feel any difference. I just know that some guitars work for me and some don't. I had two identical Strats, same year model & color. They felt completely different. Go figure.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I have 3 "Warmoth Radius" (compound). They are very forgiving for lower action. I have a "Clapton" model on one guitar that I was able to get the action surprisingly low with medium gauge strings and minimal relief. I've never had a Strat play this nicely.

Gravity Jim

My main Strat has a 10 - 16" Warmoth "Clapton" neck. I found that I instantly played cleaner on the flatter neck. Comfy for low chords, too. I can definitely feel the difference now, after years of playing this one.