Thread: Carvin Kits?

Carvin Kits?

A buddy of mine is considering buying a bass kit from Carvin--it'll set him back about $700. He'll have to sand and finish the body and neck. It all looks pretty good for the price.

Do any of you have experience with Carvin Kits?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Carvin Kits?

I built a guitar, the electronics... sucked. Cheap switches, selector failed within a few months. The pickups have a cheap import feel to them.

Body was useable but nothing to write home about, not nearly as nice as a Warmoth.

Neck... excellent workmanship and frets, but the shape is a wide-flat deal.

I wouldn't buy another one.

My impression is that for a $700 investment you'll end up with a $200 instrument.

I've had a chance to visit some guitar manufacturing sites. What I see is that the money is in the finish. Even Gibson 335's are plywood and CNC'ed now, but the finish work is still done by hand.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Yep, what OSA said. My experience is not with an instrument kit but an amp kit.

Your buddy can buy a hell of a lot of bass for $700. If he wants to buy a bass, he should buy a bass. If he wants to build a bass, he should do the work and really build a bass.

I am learning the hard way that shortcuts usually aren't.

My factory built Carvin is an awesome guitar though it's not a Bolt and I did replace the pots and switch. The factory pickups (humbuckers) are as good as any as long as you like their particular tone.

I'd love to build one of their kits but not for $700. My USACG T-Style didn't cost much more than that.

Last edited by jrgtr42; 04-27-2015 at 11:10 AM. Reason: delete
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.