Thread: Tiny Nuts, Really

Tiny Nuts, Really

A few months ago, the nut holding the power input of my Rat ProCo fell off who knows where. I phoned the manufacturer--no help. I called Small Bear electronics. They sold me an input jack that doesn't fit it, the nut a different size.

I don't know the size, but it was flat and small--I'm not sure how to measure it.

I've taken the pedal to our local Lowes, who directed me to Radio Shack, who had no idea why Loews had sent me to them.

Any suggestions?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

TFF Stage Crew

Re: Tiny Nuts, Really

It's gotta be somewhere on the Internet. Try FastenAll?

Forum Member

Most anything modern will be metric, but they have more than coarse, and fine thread. Take what you have to your local machine shop, and ask them to identify the size, and pitch, then you can look for a nut.

The nut from a small switch or jack from Radio Shack might fit. They come in a few sizes. You'll have to buy the whole switch or jack.

Forum Member

I bought a set of pots for a Lead 12, and found the thread different, (actually smaller)! Digging through my spare parts I was able to find enough to reinstall the circuit board. I look now at the description, (thread size), and order nuts if I have to!

It just hit me that if worse comes to worse I can use an alligator clip, but I might hit up Radio Shack again to see if they have any power input jacks.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Believe it or not, try Amazon.com. I found some specialty fasteners there.

Edit: I also did a Google search of "small machine screws" and found this place:

http://www.microfasteners.com/

They have screws and nuts as small as 1-72! If you can't figure out what size nut you need, you are better off buying a matching screw and nut pair. Unfortunately you'd have to purchase them in packets of 100 pieces, but they are pretty cheap, so you'll just have lots of spares. :-)
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so" -- Douglas Adams
    "If something has a 1 in a million chance of occurring, 9 times out of 10 it will happen" -- Terry Pratchett

Thanks. I'll try that place out.