Thread: I like small bass rigs - I cannot lie

I like small bass rigs - I cannot lie

I let the bass guy from a band I do sound for from time to time (ok - 2-3X a month) use my Genz last night. 2nd time he used it, and I DI it into the board.

He uses two 4-10 mesa cabs, a Mesa carbine head with like 57 rack mounted units (ok - 4-5 anyway). AND DI's it into the PA.

He was able to put the Genz into the sweet spot, no effects except for a flanger he uses on one or two songs, and his comments were funny. He said I always have trouble getting a sound I like and struggle all night long. THIS was easy - and the sound out front was GREAT! I had sat in for a few songs, so he could hear it. It was funny - I could see the realization that maybe he didn't need that extra 275 lbs of gear for a lot of these gigs.

It sounds great - but he never actually gets to wind it up -
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Re: I like small bass rigs - I cannot lie

I think its something all bass players must go through. I learned this after humping my 275 pound rig up and down many flights of stairs night after night. Class D amps and neodymium speakers were the greatest thing to happen to bass playing. I run 500W though a 1x15 and can hump that rig up a set of stairs, plus my bass, in one trip.

Forum Member

My wife's BG250 speaker cab sits in the garage, it was the greatest thing 30 years ago, a folded 18" with a 12" mid. The last time we played out, she took the little EV15B in a thiele designed cab I built with the CV head. Covered the gym with no problem!

I had an AWESOME Ampeg SAVT410HLF -
    man it was heavy - awkward

had an Avartar 410 neo - NICE
    actually sold it to a friend, to get the 2-10
    have it, a 1-12 and the Genz

Also have a Schroeder 1-12 neo - its like 23 lbs

yeah - I'm ok with that

If I can put it into the PA I am good - less stage volume, but its actually still easy to get way too loud
    Kenny Belmont

I've gone through all the gear snobbery as well...SWR, Eden and the like. As much as it pains me to admit it, my lowdown 150 1x12 combo is perfectly adequate for smaller gigs. Anything else, the Ampeg rig works just fine.

As a guitar player, I have played every POS bar in N.E. Ohio. As a bass player, I have played Blossom Music, Quicken Loans Arena, Hanna Theatre, and House of Blues. I played all these gigs using a Ric 4001 into a Fender Rumble 100 D.I.'d into the house P.A. Yep, I laughed myself as I played and collected my money. The house P.A. was AWESOME each time. Easy load, I could hear myself, and the soundman loved the simplicity. Carried my whole rig in one trip.
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

I've got a Fender Rumble 350 with two twelves. I love the sound of a bass through a big ass rig, but that Fender covers all the needs I'll ever have.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by concert410 View Post
    As a guitar player, I have played every POS bar in N.E. Ohio. As a bass player, I have played Blossom Music, Quicken Loans Arena, Hanna Theatre, and House of Blues. I played all these gigs using a Ric 4001 into a Fender Rumble 100 D.I.'d into the house P.A. Yep, I laughed myself as I played and collected my money. The house P.A. was AWESOME each time. Easy load, I could hear myself, and the soundman loved the simplicity. Carried my whole rig in one trip.
    ZACT-LY!
    Kenny Belmont

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I've got a Fender Rumble 350 with two twelves. I love the sound of a bass through a big ass rig, but that Fender covers all the needs I'll ever have.
    Sometimes - I step up to TWO 12's......when I'm feelin crazy !
    Kenny Belmont

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJohnson View Post
    Sometimes - I step up to TWO 12's......when I'm feelin crazy !
    You wild man!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

I am looking into the new V.3 fender rumble amps. Either a 100 or the 200. Anybody play through these?
    Last edited by Trav-ler; 04-16-2016 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by concert410 View Post
    Rickenbacker 4001 brother!!!!

A buddy of mine who usually uses a HEAVY rig, borrowed my Rumble and afterwards begged me to trade. Nope. He said it was the best sound he's ever gotten. Those Rumbles are serrrrrrrrrious bass amps.

Quote Originally Posted by Trav-ler View Post
    I am looking into the new V.3 fender rumble amps. Either a 100 or the 200. Anybody play through these?
    I have played through a couple, and couldn't tell you which one I liked better. The 1-15 and 2-10 were really nice sounding, and easy to manage. I could gig with them without issue I believe, but I think they are larger wattatge than the one you mentioned. When I get a chance, I will look - off to go make the donuts now!
    Kenny Belmont

Forum Member

I have played through a couple, and couldn't tell you which one I liked better. The 1-15 and 2-10 were really nice sounding, and easy to manage. I could gig with them without issue I believe, but I think they are larger wattatge than the one you mentioned. When I get a chance, I will look - off to go make the donuts now!
    Lol! Reminds me of a doughnut song I once heard. Sung merrily. "We like doughnuts doughnuts are our friend. We make them in our factory the fun just never ends." There was more to it.

Last saturday night a went to a blues bar and the band bass player was playing through a rumble 500. It sounded pretty good. He said that he was very happy with it. I am just starting to study bass guitar and while I know that if I purchased a rumble 500 I would never need another bass amp I am not sure if it would be to much amp for learning with.while they are not to heavy they are very bulky. I suppose a rumble 200 or anything in the same caliber might be just as loud at a low setting for home practice. Might work if it has an earphone jack or a second small speaker with a seperate volume control.

I have been been looking at other amps in the 200W-250W power range. I would like a fender but their older Amps are all very heavy. I found a 30lb. Carvin 200W- 250W 12" with three way speaker for $300. The main speaker is mounted at a 45 degree angle in the cab. It is appealing to me. I need to go and play through it. The owner replaced it with a mark bass. Not sure why he would replace what seems like a quality unit? Any ideas? They are on sale right now on the Carvin site.

Quote Originally Posted by Trav-ler View Post
    Lol! Reminds me of a doughnut song I once heard. Sung merrily. "We like doughnuts doughnuts are our friend. We make them in our factory the fun just never ends." There was more to it.

Last saturday night a went to a blues bar and the band bass player was playing through a rumble 500. It sounded pretty good. He said that he was very happy with it. I am just starting to study bass guitar and while I know that if I purchased a rumble 500 I would never need another bass amp I am not sure if it would be to much amp for learning with.while they are not to heavy they are very bulky. I suppose a rumble 200 or anything in the same caliber might be just as loud at a low setting for home practice. Might work if it has an earphone jack or a second small speaker with a seperate volume control.

I have been been looking at other amps in the 200W-250W power range. I would like a fender but their older Amps are all very heavy. I found a 30lb. Carvin 200W- 250W 12" with three way speaker for $300. The main speaker is mounted at a 45 degree angle in the cab. It is appealing to me. I need to go and play through it. The owner replaced it with a mark bass. Not sure why he would replace what seems like a quality unit? Any ideas? They are on sale right now on the Carvin site.
    I think you are on the right track. I play a little guitar, but mostly bass. I find many times people buy either too much or too little for their needs. It sounds like you are right where YOU need to be. The Rumbles I played were in that 500 watt range - a 2-10 and 1-15.

My guess is if he went to a markbass, it was to get a little louder, more headroom, and cleaner? Sounds reasonable as an upgrade. I have a Genz Benz Shuttle with a 1-12 cab. I have extension cabs to get more. I have backup of a ampeg portaflex 500 head, with the same extension cabs. Its plenty for most places I play.

Technology is good and lets us get good sounds for less money, weight and/or space. The fact is .....when you need more.....you need more. You will know when that is grasshopper. (sorry couldn't resist).

I would use a rig like that for smaller/med room, acoustic duo, less volume venues, and even more if it was put in the PA. How does it (the Amp) sound to you?
    Kenny Belmont

Forum Member

I think you are on the right track. I play a little guitar, but mostly bass. I find many times people buy either too much or too little for their needs. It sounds like you are right where YOU need to be. The Rumbles I played were in that 500 watt range - a 2-10 and 1-15.

My guess is if he went to a markbass, it was to get a little louder, more headroom, and cleaner? Sounds reasonable as an upgrade. I have a Genz Benz Shuttle with a 1-12 cab. I have extension cabs to get more. I have backup of a ampeg portaflex 500 head, with the same extension cabs. Its plenty for most places I play.

Technology is good and lets us get good sounds for less money, weight and/or space. The fact is .....when you need more.....you need more. You will know when that is grasshopper. (sorry couldn't resist).

I would use a rig like that for smaller/med room, acoustic duo, less volume venues, and even more if it was put in the PA. How does it (the Amp) sound to you?
    I will be leaving in an hour to meet the owner and have him demo it to to me and play through it myself. I spoke with the carvin tech today and he said that of the three combo models that they offer a "1- 15" and tweeter amp , a 2- 10" and a tweeter amp and the 12"+6"+ tweeter amp, the three way was the best overall sounding of the three. The 15" is a little better on the bottom but lacking in the midrange and the 2-10" is boomier or has more punch, but lacking in the mid and fullness of overall tone.

If i go with a fender rumble 200 i will have pretty much the same as the Carvin for $175 more. I think this amp might be a good starter amp for me. Their are cheaper 100W amps on crags list. They weight a lot more and take up more space and there are more powerful amps that cost more weigh 3 times more and take up more space. Like you mentioned i can always go DI into a PA system. I will advise after i meet up with the owner.
    '

Forum Member

I just returned from meeting with th owner of the Carvin amp. I thought the amp had a very clear, crisp and warm tone. While he played I turned turned it up till the Windows rattled. Still it was very defined and punchy. He then added a 12" mark bass cabinet and it became louder. I felt it was difficult to tell just how loud it really was because the room we were in was probobly 10'x10'. I decided to buy it as it was very well taken care of and it seemed to work very well. I think it will get me through a few years of training and into a band if I choose to go that way. The previous owner said that it worked for about 80% of the gigs he did just using the combo cab and if he needed more he added the second speaker and occasionally went DI to the house PA. He said he started playing with a louder band and needed more power than the Carvin and second cab could provide. Hence the more powerful Mark bass. Thanks for the replies. Grass Hopper.