Thread: My Tele At Work

My Tele At Work

I'm playing in a classic rock-rock band, and I've come to rely mostly on my Telecaster for what we're doing. It is so versatile, and it's got a bit more chainsaw jangle (don't know how else to describe it). We're doing stuff like Ace of Spades and Jumping Jack Flash, and the Tele seems to handle those songs better than my Strats.

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: My Tele At Work

Troll!

The other guitarist plays a Strat, and our Strats sounded very similar. That's his only guitar, so I switched to my Tele. And it makes a positive difference to our overall sound.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    Troll!

That's Just-in Beaver with a mask on.

I play similar music and prefer a Tele as well (though my Strat is fine, too).
    The other guitarist usually plays an SG or Les Paul Special and we sound good together.

It is a good combination. I've had to set my LP aside until I get new tuners in it. it's never stayed in tune, and we're talking drops of up to a whole step. There may be nut or saddle problems, but these drops are just too much. A kind soul gave me some Grover Rotomatic 102Vs. Will keep the Whammy Bar informed.

Pic from a recent gig, Tele in action. Felt like going all bluebeard.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    It is a good combination. I've had to set my LP aside until I get new tuners in it. it's never stayed in tune, and we're talking drops of up to a whole step. There may be nut or saddle problems, but these drops are just too much. A kind soul gave me some Grover Rotomatic 102Vs. Will keep the Whammy Bar informed.
    Let us know how that turns out. Tuners can't drop a whole step unless they're completely broken or strung improperly (both not likely). Still, nice, smooth tuners are nice to have.

I've strung it pretty carefully. It's due for a setup, but it's not far enough off to cause a problem. I'm going to try to start on it today. If I can do it, I'll let you know. The originals don't have a nut. The Grovers do. I won't make a single mod if they don't fit.

I've strung it pretty carefully.
    I kinda figured if this guitar was the only one giving you this problem, that you must've been stringing it as well as the guitars that aren't giving you problems.

The originals don't have a nut. The Grovers do. I won't make a single mod if they don't fit.
    You'll have to enlarge the hole from the rear for the larger bushing built into the Grover's housing.

Yep. Just tried them yesterday and saw I'd need to bore it out.

It doesn't matter at this point.

Not because of the tuning problem but because of financial necessity, I've decided to sell the Les Paul. I'll buy another one day, but for now, I'm ready to sell it.

Besides, I love my Fenders more. I admit it. I prefer my Tele and Strats to my Les Paul. The LPs pricetag says I ought to love it more, but I don't

There, that hurt.

Don't feel bad- I don't even have a Les Paul anymore and have no immediate plans to have another. I found that I loved the idea of a Les Paul more than the Les Paul itself (that might be paraphrased from something that OA once said).
    I have a Carvin DC150 and Epi Elitist ES-335 that have filled that niche.

Yeah, I'll eventually get another humbucker guitar. You nailed it with the idea of a LP rather than the thing itself. When I do get another hb, it's be something with a double cutaway, a 335 or even an SG. I might look to Heritage or some other qualiity DC. For now, I might just put some humbuckers in one of my Strats and use it for the heavier songs that we do.