Thread: Mod Persuader?

Forum Member

Mod Persuader?

I think Ive asked this before but there was never an answer. Anyone built one of these?

http://www.modkitsdiy.com/pedal/persuader_deluxe

http://www.modkitsdiy.com/pedal/persuader

THX
    P e a c e KYC

Strat or Tele out of a 5E3 .

Re: Mod Persuader?

I think I remember this discussion. I have not built one. It looks interesting though. It might be clumsy to carry with that tube sticking straight up!

Gravity Jim

I have never used or heard this pedal. But I've heard plenty of starved-tube 12ax7 overdrives, and IMNSHO, they sound awful.

Forum Member

thanks for the input - yeh, 'starved plate' just does not sound satisfying. Perhaps next idea would be the EH Hot Tubes, the original...
    P e a c e KYC

I've built one. It's actually sounds really good. There's not a ton of gain, but it does sound good. The funny thing is it takes a minute or so to really warm up. I thought it would sound awful in starved plate mode too but it surprised me. You need a lot of patience and decent soldering skills and I recommend a few alligator clips to hold the components while you solder them.

All of the MOD DIY kits are true point to point. I've built a few. The five watt Mod 102 amp, the Trill Tremolo and I just built the Contortionist High Octane Fuzz. The fuzz is insane. The 5 watt amp sounds really good. For $215 it's a real bargain. I run it with either one or two 112 cabs.

These kits are cheap fun, not because of cheap components, but because there's no PCB most have no LED and it's all bare bone.

I also build a lot of BYOC Kits as well. I have an Ibanez Flying Pan clone on its way. I'm seriously addicted to this stuff.

Here's a photo of the finished inside.

I think I could have fun with that!

You sure could Don. It was a fun build.
    That 5 watt amp kit is pretty cool too. Nothing fancy. Hammond transformers, 8 ohm output. Not much headroom at all.
    Here's a link to that one. It's a really simple build. If I knew more about tube amps, I'd be modding mine.

http://www.modkitsdiy.com/kit/mod_102_guitar_amp_kit

That looks great, clean wiring buddy!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Thanks! Point to point is crazy. I've built a lot of pedals over the past year so I got a lot of practice. Some of the BYOC stuff are using 1/8 watt resistors. Tint stuff.

I've only done a handful of PTP, and that's enough for me!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

Ive built a bunch of byoc and a tweed deluxe. Im attracted to the Persuader because its point to point and I have a bunch of 12a_7 tubes around. - sort addicted to tubes in general - im in the glass business and they have the 'ship in a bottle' thing going on... Thanks for the positive input. I have liked the sound samples Ive herd, plus the service I have received from them in the past. I was looking at that 5 watt amp just this morning...!
    P e a c e KYC