Thread: FENDER Locking Tuners

FENDER Locking Tuners

How many of you on this forum use FENDER locking tuners on your Strat? If you tried them and didn't like them,what was the issue?

I'm getting an aftermarket custom built neck that's presently installed on a display guitar in a repair shop.* I'm not sure what tuners are installed on the neck I'm buying. They look like a quality version of whatever FENDER used in years gone by (definitely not modern), but I like the locking units I have on my MIM Stat neck and have used these replacements for over 5 years.

Is there any "tone suck" with these tuners I should be aware of?

Thanks!

*The neck is custom built by the shop owner.
    ~Yardbird~

"03" Les Paul Standard (Ebony finish)
    "04" Les Paul 1959 Reissue (DarkBurst)
    "04" FENDER Standard Stratocaster (Sage Green) Rosewood fretboard - 2004 model

2011 FENDER Deluxe Reverb RI
    2012 MESA/Boogie Express 5:50
    2013 MESA/Boogie Express 5:50 plus head with 2 23" 1 X 12 MESA LoneStar cabs

Re: FENDER Locking Tuners

I believe they're Schallers, right? I've used them in the past on one of my Teles. Seemed nice to me. I do prefer Sperzels though, just cuz I have more experience with them. But I don't think you'd go wrong with the Fender units.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    I believe they're Schallers, right? I've used them in the past on one of my Teles. Seemed nice to me. I do prefer Sperzels though, just cuz I have more experience with them. But I don't think you'd go wrong with the Fender units.
    I think you are correct. Also, the shafts on these get progressively shorter the farther from the nut they are installed. I think I read somewhere that the idea behind that is to eliminate the need for a B string / E string - string tree. The new neck has a string tree installed, but I'll use it anyway (actually, I have a GraphTech graphite replacement string tree that I'll use in its place).
    ~Yardbird~

I put the high E and B tuner in the G and D spot, respectively, and still use a tree. IME there isn't enough break angle on the G using the tuners as designed. This is with Sperzels mind you.

I have some Graphtech string trees. I think I'll use one of them in place of what's installed on the new neck. They worked very well on my FENDER Strat neck.

The new neck was made y LAY'S guitar Shop in Akron, Ohio. I live about 90 minutes away so it's pretty convenient to have stuff like setups done.
    ~Yardbird~

I like roller string trees, I forget who makes them. But I have them on my basses and a few guitars. I also like the trees that are cast metal with the little teeny bars, I think they used to come on the USA Fenders? Maybe they still do? IDK, I'm not too up on production specs and whatnot.

Post a pic when you've got that neck on your gitsteel.

I like roller string trees, I forget who makes them. But I have them on my basses and a few guitars. I also like the trees that are cast metal with the little teeny bars, I think they used to come on the USA Fenders? Maybe they still do? IDK, I'm not too up on production specs and whatnot.

Post a pic when you've got that neck on your gitsteel.
    Oops... I guess I repeated myself in posts #1. & #5. If they haven't uninstalled the string tree on the new neck, I may wait until I get there to make my final decision (if it's not broke - don't fix it!). Am I indecisive, you ask? I'm not sure!

Anyway, a string tree is easy enough to swap out. I had the little bar type trees (2 of them) installed on the original neck several years ago.* The new neck will be the 3rd neck on this guitar. I'm trying to out do David Gilmour in that respect.

The photo may have to wait a little while. I'm not currently hooked up with a photo hosting website. I was with Lilypix years ago, but I don't know if she still has that site up and running.

*When I bought this guitar in 2005, the stock neck/fretboard was all maple. In 2006 I went with a rosewood fretboard, I think I actually liked the maple neck better.
    ~Yardbird~

Quote Originally Posted by Yardbird Mac View Post
    I was with Lilypix years ago, but I don't know if she still has that site up and running.
    She does. I use Lilypix.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

I have progressive height, locking Schallers on mine and there is enough angle a string tree is not needed.
    Mark

Fender has used locking tuners by two different companies.

The latest ones with the "F" on the back of the locking wheel are made by Ping (Asian made, Their claim to fame is making golf clubs).

The other non-marked ones are Schaller (Germany).

Kluson is now making drop in replacement lockers that will fit Fender tuners with the two locating pins. No mods needed.

I remember now seeing Ping's on some MIM Fenders, seemed nice enough to me. Maybe not the best but they held tune and turned smooth enough.

The Kluson tuners have a 19/1 ratio.