Thread: I think I need a pedal board

I think I need a pedal board

Willie's pedal board thread got me thinking ...

I think I need a pedal board. I am really old school and played mostly blues, rock blues, and jazzy blues, so all I used was reverb in the amp, sometimes a digital delay, and a tuner. Two years ago, I started going to a new church, one that played a lot of contemporary worship music, stuff I had never heard before. They use a lot of effects. I am playing in the band now and need to expand my palette a little.

So I am thinking of getting a decent chorus and maybe some kind of overdrive. These days, I mostly play clean and in the past, when I wanted dirt for lead, I simply used a second amp and a A/B box. I can't do that in church - way too loud - so I need a dirt box that sounds good a pretty low volumes. I have tried a few over the years but most of them always sound edgy to me, not fluid, like a real amp pushed.

As you guys know, there are probably in excess of a zillion pedals out there. I am looking for some suggestions on a chorus and an overdrive (and maybe more), as well as something to house them. I would rather buy a pedal board than make one myself. Call me lazy.

What do you guys in the same situation use to cover the waterfront, so to speak?
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

Re: I think I need a pedal board

I'm not a big fan of chorus, but, I do like the Ibanez CS-9! I'm sure you can pick up a plastic 80's one for pretty cheap.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Re: I think I need a pedal board

Doc, most of the guys I know - if they're using a separate pedal in church - it's the Fulltone Fulldrive II. Really great overdrive and a really useful boost that either adds overdrive or just extra volume.

I'm using the Line6 XT Live board and it's working great. Not new - a few generations old - but it's got everything I need, since we use no amps and in-ears.

If money was no object I'd build a pedalboard that centered around the Full-Drive II and the line6 DL4 because that's what a lot of guys use. But YMMV.

BTW I never ever use chorus - I'd be more inclined to use tremolo for shimmering textures.

The cornerstones of contemporary worship seem to be warm overdrives, clean chimey textures, U2-tap-tempo dotted eighth delays and a full-blown liquid overdrive. Oh, and if there are multiple guitarists, sometimes one of them will play a triple recto sound on power chords that isn't loud but you can hear it as a background fullness.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."