Thread: Xotic EP Boost

Gravity Jim

Xotic EP Boost

Smokin'! Just what I need to let each gain stage work just a little less and still get a nice, singing thing going.

This is not a "you can't hear it working" clean boost: it's colorful. (the circuit is modeled after the response curve of the old 60s EchoPlex preamp.) Fat and clean, makes the guitar (both my Strat and SG) more responsive and "alive." Can't imagine ever turning it off now.... for clean tones the guitar just jumps out of speaker; as a front stage for my "Baby Dumble" effects chain, it takes the edge off the dirt boxes and pushes them very nicely.

Inside, you have two dip switches: one that chooses whether the "all the way down/to the left" knob position provides a minimum of 3db boost or none at all, and another that turns on or off a treble boost. Default is with both switches ON (minimum 3db boost and treble boost) and that's just how I've been playing it. I may opt for more control by switching the minimum boost to zero (I'll never use the +20db this thing will do), but the treble boost will stay on.

Typically good construction: small as it is, with only one knob, it's heavy because the steel case would stop a bullet. It seems even more heavy duty than the Wampler pedal, which is going some. Big rude blue "On" light.

Gives the Zencaster more of a lisp in the 2 & 4 positions (must be boosting just the right frequencies), makes the SG twice as heavy. On sale at GC right now $116, I couldn't be happier with it. I'll try to post some fresh playing featuring it alone and in the lead chain.
    Last edited by Gravity Jim; 01-03-2014 at 06:33 AM.

Gravity Jim

Re: Xotic EP Boost

Here's a first attempt. The EP Boost makes everything else in the chain fatter and bigger, and allows me to back off the gain on my dirt pedals a bit and get the same effect in a smoother, rounder package.

This is the SG into the Tone Press, the EP Boost and the Wampler Euphoria, and then the Egnater Rebel 20.

http://www.thefenderforum.com/forum/...854#post609854

Wow! Sounds great. Nice tone, taste, feel, etc. Your playing has a great relaxed tastiness.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Gravity Jim

This is the neck pickup humbucker... fat as I could make it. There's a wide range, and the EP alone produces a hypersensitive clean that is really fun to play. Thanks for checking it out, Mr. B.