Thread: Distortion Pedal

Distortion Pedal

I've got a very good overdrive pedal, and I need to add a good distortion. I'd like something that could go from classic to contemporary metal. I can't spend for a boutique pedal. Most pedals I've heard that claim to sound like a Marshall usually sound like a pos.

What do you guys use for distortion beyond a cranked amp or an OD pedal?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Re: Distortion Pedal

I really dig my DIY Rat clone. It does a very good imitation of a Marshall through my 1 x 10 5F1 clone. I don't get it past 10:30 - 11:00 or so on the distortion. That's Van Halen territory. It goes way past that so it might be able to do some heavier metal. I haven't tried it though.
    Got them Statesboro Blues

I use a Fulltone OCD among others. Prices (esp. used) have come down dramatically over the years. Play one before buying, to make sure it covers the territory you'd need it to.

I like the Rat. The OCD is cool too. They're both pretty inexpensive, especially used.

I've ordered the Pro Co Rat2. Got a good deal on it. I've heard a lot of good things about it.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Absolutely love the Rat. I know it's not a boutique pedal, but I've never had or simply played through a distortion pedal that I like this much. I should have bought one of these years ago. I would have saved $100s.

Pretty nice huh? Pssssst, use it on your bass with the gain turned up... I'll wait here.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    Pretty nice huh? Pssssst, use it on your bass with the gain turned up... I'll wait here.
    Don't tempt me. I was playing the Jazz Bass last night, totally rocking loud. Then I realized my window was open. I'm sure the whole street heard me pretending to be John Paul Jones.

If I hook the Rat to the bass, I'm likely to cause a SWAT team to mobilize.

If you ever need to break down the walls of Jericho, you have the tools to do so.

TFF Stage Crew

A Bad Monkey does the distortion thing pretty well for me.

I think any serious guitar player needs a TS & a Rat! Or at least something like them. They're the basis for quite a few bootweak pedals that cost BIG bux.

I wish I still had my first Rat, but it was stolen... It was magical! The one I have now (that I built) is great, just not the same.

I use the Bad Monkey for overdrive, but the RAT goes beyond what the Bad Monkey does, and vice verse. Each does a different thing.

I am having fun with the Rat. I don't usually play with this much gain, so it's fun. Very smooth and tight. Arpeggios sound great, well defined. Can get tattered and nasty too.

I have a couple of RATs sitting around. Did the job for me for a long time for distortion. I picked up that Fryette SAS this summer that has been on the board since then, and digging that as well. ALso have a non-Mosfet Full-drive 2 that makes it's way in now and then, or with other amps.
    Besides those, I have a Bixonic Expandora (original version) I use for crunch, and a Celestion Electronics Taurus for grit - very light OD. THat one replaced a TS I had for a long time as well. One of these days I've got to put together a second board for all the pedals I don't have on the main one often.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    I have a couple of RATs sitting around. Did the job for me for a long time for distortion.

Willie -- New production Rat 2..?

jrgtr42 -- Real deal, or did you build them..?

..I'm thinking on whether to buy or build a RAT.

Yes,jeru, it's the rat2. Excellent pedal.

All hail the RAT!

Hint: Esquire into a RAT = AWESOME!

Poor Rickenjangle went through about 10 amps trying to bust though my Esquire->RAT->DRRI (on 3) chain.

The secret of a RAT is that is gives the greasy, slimy distortion but still manages to cut through.

Since RJ is my brother from another mother, I'll let the secret out... it wasn't the amp it was the RAT.

To me, and of course everyone else is entitled to their opinion, the RAT is the most versatile effect available. It can be set low on the gain for OD, you can tweek it to sound like a Rangemaster, or dial in the 80's hair band sound. All in one cool, indestructable pedal.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jeru View Post

jrgtr42 -- Real deal, or did you build them..?

..I'm thinking on whether to buy or build a RAT.
    Real deal here.
    I do understand that the RAT isn't a hard kit to build, but I haven't gotten around to trying to build any electrickery myself.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

I built my Rat. I also had one of the large box reissues. They sounded pretty similar so I sold the reissue.

I need to pick up a Rat... Never tried one.
    I do love the Box of Rock though, might be worth a look.

The thing I like about the RAT is it's definition on arpeggios, the chunk and smoothness of the rhythm--and that's on particular settings. It can do ragged too. Sounds great sc or hb.