Thread: HAWT for Teles!

HAWT for Teles!

Here's a quick pic of two of my home grown T style guitars for ya'll'z.

The one on the left is a thinline I built "many moons ago" from a Fender body I bought from CurtisStetka. Started life as a solid body and ended up in my shop where I took a router to it, hogged out some wood, capped it, and had it painted. It has a real "F" stamped Bigsby from the 60's and some custom metal work on it. Right now she's wearing a donor Peavey neck, and the pup will be swapped out next week for a Peter Florance Voodoo TE60-GR. It's a real fun guitar to play, very woody and organic sounding. I'm also gonna change the neck out, hopefully soon. I'm getting a StewMac all maple Tele neck to put on her. I'm also changing the saddles back to steel, I need more "ZING" out of this baby!

The other Tele I built the body for from an Alder blank. Gave it the Krylon touch and slammed a "U" shaped neck on it. Pups are Reed James Engineering, low wound HB in the neck and a stocker bridge pup. I do have a blank chrome plate to replace the plastic that's on there now. This guitar I'm building for my homeslice Chris, so there's been a little fiddlin' with things to get it right for him. We'll be changing out the tuners for Gotohs, and adding a cover to the neck pup.

I've been on a Tele kick as of late, and dug these out as I've been pickin'n'grinnin on my homebrewed bastardized Baja. That one sports a MIM Tele Deluxe neck, G&L ASAT Classic lead pup, and a Lawrence BL250 Strat neck pup. It's a KILLER!!! But after playing it so much at church I'm jonesing for either a Carbonita or 72 Deluxe RI to round out my little stable. My goal is to have a couple Teles that each do it's own thing. The Baja Bastage does my Keefy/Neil Young thing, the Thinline Bigsby does the airy/flutey thing, and the next one I get will be more "alt country rockin". I'm really digging the idea of WideRange HB's or Filtertrons.

I hope you guys enjoy the pic, not the best, but you get the idea of what crazy shit I do... As if you weren't aware! Take care everyone, have a good one.

"don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Re: HAWT for Teles!

Man, I dig those Teles. I'm impressed with your work!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

ˇGracias muchacho! I really should get a "family pic" up. I like to think of my house as "Chuck's Home For Wayward Guitars"...

Very cool! One day I'll build a Tele with dual 'Buckers in it- kind of a fenderless Ford roadster with a small block Chevy in it.

You thinking along the lines of what Jeff Beck did? I TOTALLY dig that Tele!!! Olde skool kool in my book.

Forum Member

Chuck, you're the mad scientist of guitar builders! I dig it!
    Got them Statesboro Blues

Chuckenstein! It's alive, ALIVE!!!!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    You thinking along the lines of what Jeff Beck did? I TOTALLY dig that Tele!!! Olde skool kool in my book.
    Before I bought a 5E3 clone I had though about doing this to my T-Style. I never bonded with it until I heard it though that amp. Now I like it as it is with almost any amp.

One day I'll get around to building another. Maybe I'll just uby an MIM Tele and hack it up style!

Who you calling a ? ! I'm so jonesing for a Carbonita or 72 Deluxe RI. I love my Baja and Thinline, but want something with a Gretsch vibe.

And hacking up an MIM is the way to go in my book! But then again, a 50s Classic Vibe is pretty appealing too...