Thread: Lone Star strat with Pearly Gates?

S. Bank of the West Branch of the Susquehanna River in rural North Central Pennsylvania

Lone Star strat with Pearly Gates?

I bought a new 2012 Fender Lone Star strat. Does anyone know if it has a regular A2 Pearly Gates humbucker in it or the Fender only Pearly Gates + ?

Fender told me they stopped making Pearly Gates + pickups for Fender and that Fender uses the regular Pearly Gates now.

Can anyone verify that the current Pearly Gates in the Lone Star is an A5 regular Pearly Gates?

It sounds great, so this is just for informational knowledge.

Thanks.
    "Walk along the river, sweet lulla by, it just keeps on flowing,
    It don't worry 'bout where it's going, no, no..."
    Allman Brothers Band

Re: Lone Star strat with Pearly Gates?

Hi,
    I believe the difference is between pickups that say "Duncan Designed" on them and pickups that just say "Seymour Duncan" on them. Either way, I think the two versions sound virtually the same...

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

The regular Pearly Gates uses an A2 magnet, the + uses an A5. The only real way to tell is to Pop the guard and see what the sticker on the back of the pup says. You can easily swap the magnet to hear the tonal difference if you'd like.

I know you're just asking to ask, but I'm not sure what comes in them. If Fender says they aren't using them, then I'd go with their info.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

S. Bank of the West Branch of the Susquehanna River in rural North Central Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    The regular Pearly Gates uses an A2 magnet, the + uses an A5. The only real way to tell is to Pop the guard and see what the sticker on the back of the pup says. You can easily swap the magnet to hear the tonal difference if you'd like.

I know you're just asking to ask, but I'm not sure what comes in them. If Fender says they aren't using them, then I'd go with their info.

It has a "real" Seymour Duncan "Pearly Gates" humbucker. It says Seymour Duncan on it and sounds great.

I just read that they are not A2 anymore but are A5, so I thought I'd ask. Fender, when I called them, said A5, but they have been known to give you BS answers and their webpage has a lot of errors too.

In fact they were supposed to call me back about something over a week ago and I haven't heard a word. That's BS to tell people they will call you back tomorrow and then not do it.

I like Fender as a company, in general, though. Like any very large company, they have communications problems.

I just put a set of flat top chrome knurled P bass control knobs on the Lone Star and they look good. Pictures will be taken and posted.
    "Walk along the river, sweet lulla by, it just keeps on flowing,
    It don't worry 'bout where it's going, no, no..."
    Allman Brothers Band

Oh, ok. I Googled it to see, and that's what the SD site said. I guess they've changed the specs? I was always under the impression that the magnets were different, but the wind was the same.

But heck, if it sounds good that's all that matters anyways. I think they use the "Duncan Designed" in their lower end guitars.

Get a pic up for us tho, I bet it looks KILLER with the chrome knobs! RAWK on buddy!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"