Thread: Project 2: My Tele

Project 2: My Tele

The jury's still out on the Vintage Noiseless pups in my Strat, but VNs and a Guitar Fetish boost has turned my Tele into a monster! The pups have beefed up the guitar without losing classic Tele tones. I played through a bunch of genres, and playing with the new tone circuit, I found that these pups are versatile. I'll be using my tone control more often now. The gain just takes it up a notch. The pups are loud, but not a drop of 60 cycle hum. I hadn't known what to expect with these mods, and I'm so glad I've done it.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Project 2: My Tele

It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong. My burst of praise was the result of initial relief that there were great, classic Tele sounds coming out of these pickups. And I do love the boost.

But after my foolish elation, I started noticing that I was missing my Am. Std. pickups. I'm going to go back to the original pickups. I apologize for all the postings I've dragged you all through.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Apology accepted, now let's never let this happen again!!! Huh? I'm just messing with ya man. You sure tho, don't wanna give it another week, fiddle with the heights? We've all been there man, when the shininess of new wore off... If you search "Curtis Stetka" or "Chuckocaster" you'll find how a REAL does things, or "how not to screw the pooch"... (I'm just joshin' ya Curtmo!!)

But in all seriousness, that sux amigo! I'm sorry to hear all this.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I'm going to mess with them until Tuesday, when I've got a date with my tech pal.

Don't worry about it! I love a good trainwreck!

Seriously, it's good to see how someone feels about a product regardless of how it turns out.

If you require noiseless pickups, I enjoyed the Kinman Broadcaster set that I had in my USACG blackguard style Tele clone. In the end I went with a set of Fralins (Blues Special bridge, stock neck).

If I needed noiseless pickups I would've stuck with the Kinmans.

I bought used pickups for this guitar until I figured out what I liked (another thing that I highly recommend).

I'll wind up using the VNs for Strat and Tele builds I want to do. I'm impressed with what the VNs do. The Tele is a monster with them, but I admit I prefer my old Am Stds. This will just prompt me to get on the build. I've had a 94 Am. Std. neck for a long time.

We've all been there duder! Myself, after a bunch of fiddling and modding, have learned I like the "olde skool". Nothing wrong with the new stuff, but "those" tones are ingrained in my head and ears.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Maybe I just have cloth in my ears, but I love my Am Std pups. I thought I'd have that sound, just noiseless and boosted.

As you may remember, I changed my mind again on the VNs and left them in the Tele. Carried it to a band practice for the first time tonight. It performed beautifully. It cut through the mix without ice picks. I've learned how to use the tbx and my amp's eq, and the VNs sound great. I may one day get a Tele with normal scs, but for now, I'm really happy with what I'm getting out of the Tele. I can tweak it close to the AmStd pups.

After playing tonight, I've pretty much settled on using the Tele as the main guitar for this band (cover band--we play Pearl Jam, Beatles, Who, Hendrix, Sex Pistols, Black Crowes, but most of our songs are the ones you know but never hear on rock stations).