Thread: Simple Effects Pedal Board

Simple Effects Pedal Board

Does anyone make a simple, preferably flat, or minimal slope, pedal board? Here's what I need... Due to a partial amputation to my left foot I have some minor balance issues. I need a pedal board that is linear (not tiered).

My effects chain for my FENDR DRRI is: Tuner - Wah - Compressor - Overdrive (1) - Overdrive (2) - 10 band EQ - Analog Delay - Stereo Chorus.

My Effects chain for the MESA/Boogie Express 5:50 (going through the effects loop) is: Tuner - Wah* - Compressor - 10 band EQ - Analog Delay - Stereo Chorus.

Another thought... is there a foot controller that would allow me to use these effects without mounting them on a pedal board (my apologies for my ignorance on this one!).

* In this case, the Wah won't be going through the effects loop.
    ~Yardbird~

"03" Les Paul Standard (Ebony finish)
    "04" Les Paul 1959 Reissue (DarkBurst)
    "04" FENDER Standard Stratocaster (Sage Green) Rosewood fretboard - 2004 model

2011 FENDER Deluxe Reverb RI
    2012 MESA/Boogie Express 5:50
    2013 MESA/Boogie Express 5:50 plus head with 2 23" 1 X 12 MESA LoneStar cabs

Re: Simple Effects Pedal Board

I'm having a similar problem- due to compressed nerves in my spine, it's difficult to move my right foot accurately enough to engage the pedals in the back row of my pedal board. On the other hand, my right leg is not strong enough to balance if I use my left foot on the pedals! I ran some of my pedals by hand at a recent gig.

I'd be happy to hear the recommended solutions to this.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    Thanks!!! The"Nano" looks like what I'm after... Bookmarked.
    ~Yardbird~

"03" Les Paul Standard (Ebony finish)
    "04" Les Paul 1959 Reissue (DarkBurst)
    "04" FENDER Standard Stratocaster (Sage Green) Rosewood fretboard - 2004 model

2011 FENDER Deluxe Reverb RI
    2012 MESA/Boogie Express 5:50
    2013 MESA/Boogie Express 5:50 plus head with 2 23" 1 X 12 MESA LoneStar cabs

The PedalTrain Mini and Nano are my favorites.
    Carry On!

John

What is your power situation? Are you looking for built-in juice, or an external supply?
    If you're looking at external (Voodoo PedalPower or the like,) may I suggest a piece of plywood, maybe a piece of carpet, and some zip ties?
    For minimal $$ and not-too-much time and effort, you can tailor the board to the exact size, shape and slope you want.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

So, as for pedalboards, I like to keep mine simple.

Here's my chain:

Insulation Module / Dunlop Crybaby Wah / Boss CS3 compressor/sustainer / Danelectro Daddy-O Overdrive /Onerr Chorus /Boss DD3 Delay

I plug it into Orange and it's all good so far.

Spotted this thread and noticed a similar issue among some folks having difficulties with elevated or slanted boards. My issue is that my left leg is often swollen at times due to diabetic issues and with a board with a lot of tilt to it makes it a chore to use and still keep my footing so to speak. Further, I personally cannot stand Velcro stuff stuck to the back of my pedals and how it often looses it's adhesive quality and the Velcro comes loose from the pedal and then they start to move around and such.

My simple solution was to build a board in a semi curved shape and drilled multiple holes of 1/4" for zip-ties to hold the pedals in place and 3/4" holes to allow the connections to pass through to the pedals. The board is only slightly tilted by raising the back about an inch or so and thus it allows all the wiring to run beneath the board to a plug strip for in and out of the 1/4" plugs to the amp and from the guitar input. This strip is located on the elevated wooden back and it keeps the plugs at almost floor level.

The power to the board is simply a 1-Spot unit with the "daisy chain" wiring running from the pedals, down through the 3/4" holes, to a matching jack in the strip for the 1-Spot to plug into. I used some nylon strap and screwed them into the bottom of the board to collect the loose wires and such to keep them off the floor and in a neat bundle that would not be exposed and get snagged when moving the board. It took a bit of doing to make it work right and I messed up I guess in that I made it to hold only four pedals. Probably should have made it to hold six though.

Made the board and the elevator back with some scrap 1"X12" white oak I got form a former brother-in-law that has a cabinet shop and gave me some scrap long ago. Stained it real dark and that sorta makes the holes less noticeable, but I was trying to keep it as uncluttered as I could. The big holes couldn't be helped as they had to be there to get the plugs through the board. Oh well, it works anyway I guess. And I can stand and tap any pedal with little effort as it's not jacked up too high in the back and isn't too flat to cause me to miss a pedal either. For me, it works ok. I tried to use as close to a matching zip-tie to the color of the pedal to make it look a little better. I did have plain white ones on it and it looked real cheesy and cheap. I'll see if I can get a phone/camera shot of some if it and post it when I can.
    I forgot what I was going to say...

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."