Thread: Are Strat Bodies Different?

Forum Member

Are Strat Bodies Different?

....and I'm not speaking of woods or weights.

Recently, I put two of my Strats on stands, side by side and I noticed it. At first, I thought it was just my aging eyes. Saw it again today in a Guitar Center ad mag. I'm looking at a translucent green Custom Shop they've got advertised for $3199.00 and on the adjacent page, there's this Clapton signature for $1599.00 and it's clear as day....though I never noticed it before.

What am I talking about? I've got an HSS Deluxe that I bought new in 96. I've got an 07 John Mayer Sig. I swear the deluxe has a bigger body. The horns are noticeably wider (upper and lower bout) with less contour (roundness I guess) and the belly cut and arm cut are shallower on the 96 than the 07. The arm cutaway on the body is actually smaller and angled differently than the 07. I know some some Strats are labeled "contoured body" and some aren't.

Am I just slow and crazy or has anyone noticed that besides me? Were there any specific years that there were noted differences in the body? Maybe specific historical periods?(Original Fender, CBS years, modern era etc.)

Re: Are Strat Bodies Different?

I can confirm the belly cut and arm cut can be different from various years as my '73 & '88 are quite a bit different. I think those areas are hand sanded to a certain extent.

It wouldn't surprise me if there were more slight variations over the years.

MAJOR differences throughout the history of the strat. Most noticeable is the more shallow cuts on front and back starting in the early 70s.

Decent cuts came back in the early-mid 80s for the reissues.

Edge radius was around 9/16 in the pre-CBS days and is as little as 3/8 on many models now.

I'm not an expert on this subject, but your eyes aren't deceiving you. Sorry I can't be of more help, but I too have noticed it. Some people REALLY know about what different years should look like.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I think there a subtle differences now as there were in the pre CBS period. Pre CBS body differences are very well documented. Fender even touted (advertised) differences to the AVRI series several years ago in the early 2000's. There are certainly differences between custom shop and non custom shop models though the years. I would depend more in hand observations than just images alone when trying to determine these differences.

Forum Member

My go to FrankenStrat has an early 80s Tokai '56 body because of its contours and weight.

It has the narrowest upper bout and deepest forearm carve of any Strat I've owned. The 70s RI Strat I own is cumbersome after playing FrankenStrat.

Nothing subtle about it.

I'd even add that for me, the body carve one of the biggest factors when I'm buying a strat.

I have a 1960 start that I love. The arm cut is really cool. Starts curving real close to the bridge and is wide and smooth all the way back.

Hard to capture in photos just how drastic it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
    Hard to capture in photos just how drastic it is.
    I'd say that one captures it pretty good! Quite a drop off.

That is one nice strat

Thanks. Been my baby for around 25 years.