Thread: Fave delay?

Fave delay?

At the moment I'm in love with my Visual Sound Axle Grease. It's nothing "booteek" or fancy, just a basic delay. It reminds me of the Ibanez AD9 quite a bit. I've been thinking about getting another one and seeing about how to hack in and add a tap tempo to it.

So what are you es using?
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Re: Fave delay?

I'm using a $20 Rogue Analog Delay right now. It was dirt cheap and sounds good though it's not analog.

I used a BYOC analog voiced digital delay (their first version) for a few years but found that it increased my volume when I used it- enough to overdrive my 5E3 clone a little. I'll bet it's set at unity and overcomes the losses in my signal due to having a bunch of non-buffered pedals in my chain.

I bought an AD-9 new in 1984. It was really expensive at the time ($115, if I recall). I always found it to be too dark.

I had a Duncan Deju Vu for a while. I bought it on closeout for $70 or $80. It sounded just okay and didn't seem reliable- it would sometimes appear to "lock up".

I've use a Digitech delay. It's versatile, sounds good, and doesn't suck tone.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

I'll be watching this thread. All I have is one OD Pedal (Mojotone Mule). I'd like a few more pedals a decent Delay being among them.
    Got them Statesboro Blues

Forum Member

Yep. And the AD80 is great too. Had one years ago, but they're hard to come by now. I'm digital (G-system) these days, and it does a great job.
    FD

T-Rex Replica I've had for years. Pricey but well worth it. Rarely turned off.

I have a TC X4 - one of the big new ones - and it's great but I haven't really "Grok'ed" it yet. By far the best delay I ever had in terms of ease of use and awesomeness was the Boss DD20 - kinda wish I had that one back.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Shoulda never sold my DD5... That and the Axle Grease would be a killer combo on my board. Oh well! There's no way in hell I'm paying the stupid price people are asking for them. The DD7 sounds EXACTLY the same. Unless I didn't get one of the "mojo" ones... But I do know the one I had sounded great.

Sold my T Rex, it was really nice, just not "me". I picked up a Dannelectro 600Ms delay for $20. I really like it!!! Sounds a lot like the Axle Grease. So I have Dannelectro set up for "slap" & the VS set up for "meedjum". Only thing left to do is make a loop pedal so I can toggle between the two, less tap dancing. These will be used for my originals.

I have sent my DL4 off to be fixed, get an audio mod, new "real" switches (not the fake shells with micro internal switches), & an external tap added. The added jack won't null the internal tap, it simply allows you an option.

http://jhv3.squarespace.com/dl4-mods/ This is who's doing the work for me. I'll post a review when I get it. This delay will be used on my church board.

You like the DL4? I keep looking at them...

Here are my Ibanez analogue boxes;

An AD-9 and an AD-80, both from '81. I run the AD-9 with a short slapback with one or two repeats and the AD-80 set pretty long (well, long for an analogue delay, about 300ms!). The OD-855 is also from '81 and is awesome. It gets used as a fat clean boost when I want slightly more hair than I get out my Klone clone. The Klon is great but the Ibanez does dirt better whereas the Klon is better for a fat clean boost.
    Last edited by ziess; 05-19-2013 at 04:48 AM.

It's a good tool to cover a lot of ground with, utilitarian. It doesn't sound as nice as an AD9 tho, I had one and it was nice!

I always love when you post pics, you've got some great gear dude!

Playing at church is a whole other ball game than I'm used to, and the pedals I use there reflect that. I'm not saying I don't like my rig I use in that context, but they aren't what I use for my own music.

The real difference is the amount of "wetness" used in most contemporary Christian music. Most, if not all, of the guitars are using an ambient effect. There seems to be a lot of U2esque delayed tones and such. The main electric player uses an M9 since it is so easy to dial in a bunch of different "wet" tones. Coolest thing about that pedal is that the "tap" is global to time based FX. Very cool stuff since we play 85% of the songs to a click/backing tracks.

As for me, I'm really not much of a delay guy... As in I don't "need" it to accomplish my tone. Give me an OD and a boost, and I'm good. However, playing at church I need a couple delays to get the job done. So that's why I use the DL4, three different pre set delays in not too big of a box. Add in my Fulldrive II, a tuner, and I'm good. So a little pedalboard, a small tube combo, Telecaster, and Sunday service is covered.

IDK if the DL4 will float your boat, it's actually a pretty crappy pedal! IMHO. But I use it cuz it was given to me. They have a lot of problems, none are immune to failing. They're just like a Hotrod series Amp; as in it's not "if" it's gonna fail, but more a question of "when". HTH

Thanks for your thoughts. I've heard they have some good sounds and a decent looper but what you're saying echoes my impression of them. I don't really need another pedal to fix up!

Thanks for the comments on the gear. You're right, I've got a few bits and bobs..! Been lucky recently with acquiring things here and there.
    If you're interested here's a close up of my Ibanez pedals.

Tommy.

Diamond Memory Lane Jr all the way!

Right now it´s the Ibanez DL10, digital delay with analog feel, very under rated delay IMO.
    I´ve owned a bunch of Ibanez and other analog delays but i actually like the more defined (right in you´r face if you want :-)) sound of the DL10, still warm tones.

There's a MAC in my chain now. I run Logic for time-based effects and can pull a preset with the tails I need. I prefer to ping-pong the delays, beat synch them or run different delays left & right. I also have an old Digitech double play I love because it's stereo pedal and doubles as an amp splitter. It's a double wide but earns the real estate it takes up onstage.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I take it you're running Mainstage?

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    I take it you're running Mainstage?
    It's a game changer. Does a bang-up job on vocals too.

The days of spending and spending on gear are over!

This is a really exciting time to be a musician. We are changing the way do things every day and it sounds unbelievably good... and it's consistent.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I totally concur! I have Logic Pro 9 & LOVE all the models, sims, etc it has. It's so nice to be able to record straight in and make something that sounds awesome. It won't totally replace my other stuff, but damn close. And I love that I can synch time based FX if I want to.

Still loving my Digitech RP 355.

Has multiple delay types and many adjustable parameters. Can't beat the versatility. Can even apply a parameter to the pedal (pedal to change delay times, depth, mix, etc.

...and I get all the other effects too. Whole unit costs less than one boutique pedal.

My Fulltone tube tape echo,
    Oh the tone

Got rid of the TC X4 - because it required me to think. I don't want to think, I want to play.

I got an H20 delay/chorus from Visual sound, and it sounds great, has a wide range of usable and pleasing tones...

Next up is a much simpler-to-use tap tempo delay with subdivisions...like the Nova Repeater... but for now, the H20 is all the liquid this cat needs.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

E-H Deluxe Memory Man. Sounds great, even better when split to 2 amps.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Gravity Jim

Like Wilco, I'm enjoying the large number of different delays and versatility of my multi unit (a Line6 M13).

Also like Wilco, I love the versatility of the Digitech RP355 and the fact that you can edit the patches on your computer through a USB cable rather than on your hands & knees on the floor. I don't know if I'd want to use it live as you can't scroll through the patches silently (or stay on one patch until the next sound is selected like my old Zoom 3030). I have an old Arion DDS4 which is a great delay in it's own right but takes things right over the top if used in conjunction with the Digitech delays!

When You point your finger 'cause your plan fell through, you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.

My DL4 is really growing on me! I programmed a cool "pad" delay using the Echoplex setting. But for tone and ease of use I'm still in love with Axle Grease and Dannelectro 600MS delays. Still need to build a looper for them.

Forum Member

I ended up thinking that for the style of music I play (blues/rock) I'd go with an analog, so I used the following for my buying decision:
    Video of Top Delays http://<a href="https://www.youtube....B4mxmNsqZY</a>
    Video of Analog Delays http://<a href="https://www.youtube....ysN0gSWYow</a> ... I'm a Dennis Kayzer fan.
    Article on the Best Delay Pedals

I ultimately chose the MXR Carbon Copy. It's compact, warm, and relatively inexpensive (unfortunately, always a consideration). I gotta say though, I'm pretty happy with it for a first analog delay. I'm mostly using my '98 Strat through it. Really, I don't think you can go wrong with any mentioned thus far, and I chose a very basic delay. :)

I have used the Chase Bliss Tonal Recall since it came. Amazing delay pedal.

Until I got a Free the Tone FT-2Y.

it's absolutely incredible.

Forum Member

I have used this for years. Of course I got it when MF put it on clearance when they were discontinued. It came with presets and description of the era they of rock music they were from to give you a starting point. At the time that was very helpful for me.

Forum Member

Providence Chrono Delay. I like it.

Wow! Old thread!

I bought an old DOD FX90 last fall. The repeats are super short and it's a little funky sounding, but it's the most "musical" sounding delay I've ever used! This one is unique in that the original switch works and the battery cover is still with the pedal!

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Wow! Old thread!

I bought an old DOD FX90 last fall. The repeats are super short and it's a little funky sounding, but it's the most "musical" sounding delay I've ever used! This one is unique in that the original switch works and the battery cover is still with the pedal!

That Rat's been around the block a few times too, eh? Apparantly dragged behind the car?
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

actually that rat is actually a brand new reissue, it was puked on the first time the original buyer played out with it, the puker had eaten extra spicy nachos just before the liquid laugh.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    That Rat's been around the block a few times too, eh? Apparantly dragged behind the car?
    It's beat on the outside, but the inside looks great and it's the best sound Rat I've played. It appears to have been made in 1986. I bought it last fall for $30!

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    actually that rat is actually a brand new reissue, it was puked on the first time the original buyer played out with it, the puker had eaten extra spicy nachos just before the liquid laugh.
    I thought you were going to say it's a brand new relic.

I've always liked and used Digitech delays. My current one has lasted a long time, and it does exactly what I want it to do, from slapback to airy fairy. It's easy to control and offers so many time and level possibilities (stereo too). I wish I had two of them. That might be my next purchase.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Which delay pedal works the best with cranked amps that don’t have effects loops?