Thread: Solutions to Strap Locks on an Acoustic

Solutions to Strap Locks on an Acoustic

Does anyone have a solution for locking the strap on an acoustic? I don't want to drill into the guitar. Is there a perfect solution, some product that requires no alteration?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Solutions to Strap Locks on an Acoustic

Grosch beer, you use the red washer off it.

Or, you can put straplocks on. What you do is get a spare set of screws the same size as what's in it now and use those with the buttons. If the heads are too big you simply Chuck them up in a drill, and turn them down on an "Okie" lathe... Which can be a belt sander, hand grinder clamped in a vise with a sanding disk in it... Basically anything that's unsafe when not used correctly to remove the needed material to make the screws fit in the buttons.

I've done that quite a bit with guitars, like when you have a Bigsby or something where you don't want to redrill the holes.

I also remember seeing in the past a plastic washer that snapped shut, locking the strap onto the existing buttons. Don't recall who made them, but I remember them being like $10.

Best of luck I KNOW you'll need it...
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

If you have a 1/4" plug on the back for a pickup, and it's not an active pickup a 1/4" angle jack snaps in and keeps the strap on really well. My strap pins are on the bottom of the heel so it tends to lock itself. I have this setup on all of my acoustics.

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I'm getting ready to install the Pure Mini traducer system in my Martin, so the end pin will be a jack. What do you guys do about a strap once that's been done, never mind the strap locks?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

I use Tapastring StrapKeeper. It is perfect when that endpin jack is bigger and thicker that a normal button.

http://www.tapastring.com/strapkeeper0605.htm
    Mark

Thanks, Mark. That looks really interesting.