Thread: fretting hand technique

fretting hand technique

Hi there!

I've been playing for 18 years now and consider myself an advanced player. But, being between bands right now, I'm starting to feel the urge to improve beyond the pentatonic blues based stuff I've been playing over the last 10 years. I'm trying to get into this Steve-Morse-arpeggio stuff, and while my picking hand's already been doing these alternate picking stuff for years without me even thinking about it, my left hand gives me major problems. I've never ever had a lesson in my life, and now I'm the roll-and-hide-the-pinky type of player. Now I'm looking for some advice, or maybe some online lessons, that help me getting my left hand into shape. I don't really know how to get my pinky working well, just forcing myself to use it makes my hand hurt and cramp pretty fast and lets me know that I'm definitly doing something wrong, and I don't want to ruin my hands. It's very hard to break out of my well known patterns, but it frustrates me that my fingers don't work as fast as my brain wants them to. Any hints, tips, advice how and where to get started?

Thanks!
    "If you wind up with a boring, miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on TV telling you how to do your shit, then YOU DESERVE IT."

- Frank Zappa -

Lots of times, bad pinky performance is the result of poor hand placement. Try moving the guitar neck up so that the headstock is even with your shoulder. Next, move your fretting hand wrist forward until your thumb falls naturally onto the middle of the back of the neck.

If you watch most "shredders" you'll notice they project the wrist way forward and let their fingers float over the the neck. They also pull that headstock way up for a monster riff. Interestingly enough, this is the exact technique employed by classical guitarists as well. Ever notice how classical and shred use so many arpeggios?

Also, practice Maj7 chords to get your pinky back into the mix.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member
    He used to cut the grass...But now his mind is totally destroyed by music.
    Purchase a classical guitar instruction book, like The Christopher Parkening Method, Vol. 1. This book has a number of good photos showing proper hand positioning.

Don't just "plant" your thumb in one place. Your thumb should be behind a spot just under your first and second fingers. Just like if you brought your thumb and fingers together without a guitar at all. The thumb should glide along the back of the neck just as the fingers move across the front.

Play on your fingertips. Keep your left wrist straight. Let your elbow hang freely, so that your hand can shift as needed.

Play scales. Use at least two octaves. Purchase a copy of the "Segovia scales", Diatonic Major and Minor Scales, by Andres Segovia. Use the proper left hand fingerings. Practice.

It's going to be difficult. You have to un-learn years of doing it wrong, and poor technique, and keep reminding yourself to do it correctly.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass or anything, but this sort of thing is exactly why aspiring guitarists should study classical guitar first; to learn and develop proper techniques that will be indispensible later on, no matter what type of music the player proceeds into. Even Jazz guitar students at an internationally famous college like the University of North Texas have to study classical guitar and pass a proficiency examination. (Many students don't make it to that point.) These skill are what permit them to do the blindingly fast runs and arpeggios that are so admired. Unfortunately, so many people want to "run before they can walk" and are forever held back by their lack of fundamental training.
    Last edited by Sven; 09-19-2003 at 07:50 PM.

I don't really know how to get my pinky working well...

See the exercise I posted on the "Right Hand Technique" thread.

The exercise has been around G.I.T. for a long time and is quite effective.

The exercise is just one exercise in a series. If you (or anyone else) finds it helpful let me know and I'll scan the rest and link them.

PINKY TROUBLES !!!!!!

lots of times i play major 7th chords to use my pinky mre plus chords like that 4 noters will give you strength in the pinky then the arpeggios will also sweeten up i broke both my hands 5 yrs ago after 2 severe surgeries i am playin full steam ahead yea my wrists kill me arthritis set in but i play better than i ever did in my 30 yrs of playing bro

the major 7th chords also make nice intros into leads and scalar patterns
    i love using minor 7th chords every chord or solo i play i try to use all my fingers on my left hand pinky included and it was hell for me to get back into the swing of things but i never gave up

classical guitarists employ a thumb behind neck technique called pima its the fingering technique i think thats the name i forget but they keep their thumbs behind the neck so they can utilize the frets more precisely and its cleaner sounding leadwise i also am guilty of locking my thumb over the neck but i still sweep pick fast and clean because i have a very classical background technique and i practice religiously i swear
    its all fun it takes lots of patience i kno it hurts /cramps up but that makes the hand stronger and b4 you kno it youll be using chords into leads that you never knew existed on the neck it is like climbing a ladder thats what i tell my students
    lou
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS