Thread: MXR Phase 45 re-issue

MXR Phase 45 re-issue

I just picked up a used MXR Phase 45 re-issue for less than I could build one for. I've wanted one of these since they came out. Phasers are generally too effect-like for me. I borrowed a friend's Small Stone for a while and liked it but wanted "less". The Phase 45 is pretty subtle. I might even put it on my board.

Re: MXR Phase 45 re-issue

Those are very nice! A good friend of mine has an original, oh so sweet.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

It fakes a Univibe pretty well!

I put a distortion pedal after it and was playing riffs from Robin Trower's "Bridge of Sighs" with a convincing enough sound. Someone is bound to say that a Carvin guitar, Phase 45, Rat pedal and Vibrolux Reverb does not sound like Robin Trower but I think an audience would be fine with it.

I didn't buy the pedal for that and didn't expect it.

I think the Phase 45 is just an entry drug for me. I've been using it as the Uni-Vibe that I've dreamed of having since I started playing many, many years ago!

Classic Amplification sells their Vibe-Baby in kit form for $140. I can get a used wah to build it in for under $30.

I could also mod the Phase 45 to sound more Uni-Vibe like and call it done. It was way cheaper and fits on my board a lot better! A drawback with the Phase 45 is that sounds best in front of my '69 Pedal (fuzz) but the '69 Pedal does not sound as good with the Phase 45 bypassed.

Why not make or buy a true bypass looper for your Phase 45? That should solve your issue.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

It would probably be easier to sell the Phase 45 and build a clone that's true bypass. It really wouldn't matter if I didn't want to use it in front of a Fuzz Face clone (the '69 Pedal).