Thread: Retirement from Bands

Retirement from Bands

I'm exasperated. I live in a small town, and it's nearly impossible to find people my age or a little younger to play music with. I've tried ads on CL, cards at the music shop, word of mouth. No, I'm not a musical pariah. Part of the problem is that I'm 50, and the number of rockers wanting to jam seems to be very low. Part of the problem is that I do not want to play country. So I've decided to give up looking for a band, and I'm just going to put all of my energy into recording. I love being in a band and working together to make that magic music. But I've got to be realistic--there's no one to play with around here (yes, I've checked neighboring communities too).
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Retirement from Bands

That's too bad! I'm 49 and where I live I seem to keep coming up with guys about my age to jam with! I'll count my blessings!

Funny......a trend here....
    I too ....am 49
    having started playing late, I am about 10-11 years into playing now, and 4 years into this band.

That said, it isn't that there aren't musicians here to play with, but that alot of them have been together in some combination of the past 20-30 years (the ones our age)

you know that there have got to be some like minded people out your way - and you just haven't' met yet. The odds are - there are always people that want to - but are in the same situation as you.

Are there any jams out your way? I met a LOT of good players, outside of the normal folks where I live to jam with. It has been a GREAT networking hub.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

I've looked for jams, but so far no luck. Yeah, I thought about the fact that I've been here 8 short years, while most of the players here would be people who've known each other since childhood. I'm in a special group on FB of people in this town who are politically and culturally evolved, but the musicians among us are young turks playing scream metal. I networked at the local guitar shop, but now that has closed, and we're an hour away from the next shop. So, we're a bit isolated here. Ah well, I won't totally give up hope; I'm just not going to waste time on it anymore.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Willie, don't give up just yet. I've been a musician for over 50 years now and the absolute best band I've ever worked with began when I was 50 years old. It was a 10 piece Tower of Power type band that I was with for about eight years.

Now, at 66 years old I'm finding it very hard to find a gig but I'm not about to throw in the towel...something always comes along.

Thanks, Laker. I really don't want to throw in the towel. There's nothing like working in a good band. At this point, I'd settle for a somewhat good band with a lot of passion for the music.

What Part of Tennessee are you in? Curious.........
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

West Tennessee, about two hours from Memphis. Three from Nashville, about hour to Jackson. I'm from Nashville and still go to play with some friends there, but it's just a small jam, no drummer, no PA, very quiet, not a band.
    Last edited by ch willie; 11-14-2012 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Thanks, Laker. I really don't want to throw in the towel. There's nothing like working in a good band. At this point, I'd settle for a somewhat good band with a lot of passion for the music.
    You know, maybe playing in a country band and making it your own wouldn't be the worst thing. If that is all that's available, maybe you can reshape to something new and different. That's where the challenge has always been for me; take something old and change it to what you hear.

Think about it for a bit.

It's probably that left-handed bass that's holding you up

I knew I should have bought a righty. Trouble is, my hands are on backwards.

Just take a break and record some, it'll probably be good for you. You'll learn some new things, get some practice in, and have a fresh start when the time comes.

Sounds like it's more of a networking issue. If there aren't any open jams, then may I suggest looking around to see where bands are playing at? Then just go and meet some of the "locals", getting your name out there is half of the battle. Maybe you'll pick up some fill in spots, or get some names of guys who have half a band. It can be tough, but you'll do fine.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Thanks, Chuck.

Play solo acoustic...I have done it to bridge bandless times...

An by the way, it is fun. You get to play what you want!

Then you meet people...interested in music...some may be musicians and there you go, it will all be good!
    "Sorry" - John Belushi as he smashed a guitar in Animal House

I used to do solo acoustic in Germany, usually 4 hour gigs. It was great fun. I played everything from Irish folk songs to Led Zeppelin. I've thought about doing that again. May do so in the future, once I've done some recording.

My back is in terrible pain by the end of a job, but I keep trying, the alternative is unacceptable for now. I am 62 but it's what I've done since 1962. So fight on my Brother!!!
    Last edited by thegeezer; 11-20-2012 at 04:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    West Tennessee, about two hours from Memphis. Three from Nashville, about hour to Jackson. I'm from Nashville and still go to play with some friends there, but it's just a small jam, no drummer, no PA, very quiet, not a band.

My thoughts:

If you do your own thing, people of like minds will find you.

Start out thinking small. Maybe find one person (young or old) that you can forge "any kind of musical alliance" with. Perhaps a local jam the two of you host will bring out some of the closet musicians and then you find yet another person that is similar to yourself. Seed efforts like that may grow the network to discover musicians that you can have common bonds with.

Where there is a will there is a way. Maybe just doing solo gigs will attract others to your cause. Good to go to the city as you describe to stay in shape, but I would bet there are folks in the closet where you live that you can allign with. They will find you if you get "out" on some invitational "meet and greet" type gigs.

Thanks, Buckeroo. That's sage advice.

So I was whiny about no band. Turns out one of my pals here has quit his band in Memphis. In short, we're going to form an "mostly" originals band. We've already got bass and two guitars. Now it's just a matter of finding a drummer and a safe place to play.

Guess I was whining more than giving up.

Why do we crucify ourselves

Spoke too soon Other guy had a crisis and had to drop out. Ah well, back to scratch again.

Hang in there ch willie! I like the idea that you are open to doing solo or band,just to keep playing (it's in your blood!).
    I've been watching some videos of a couple of my favorite artists (Daniel Lanois and Adam Levy).They get up with just bass and drums and do their tunes,and it's not your typical "it-all-about-the-guitar-player" performances.The tunes seem to really breathe with such a small ensemble,and the presentation is more honest to me.
    Lanois--(known also as producer,U2,ect)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0E3R1cSfIM

Levy--(played with Norah Jones,Tracy Chapman,ect.)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS1BLhYG7lA
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

I hate it when I see an old thread resurrected and it’s spam instead of someone actually discussing something new about it.