Thread: Gibson 57 Classics in a Tag Match

Gibson 57 Classics in a Tag Match

I love the sound of the BB Pros I have in my Les Paul, but for giggles and shits, I'm going to put in a set of 57 Classic / 57 Classic Plus. I know these pickups, and I love the warmth of the neck and the sting of the bridge. I'm going to keep the BB Pros though--may want to swap them out again some time.

I know boutique pups sound different, but I really like Gibson's pups. I like Fender's as well.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Re: Gibson 57 Classics in a Tag Match

Sometimes with pickups, especially pickups from boutique winders, I wonder how much a placeboish effect is going on. They put the new pickups in, never bothered to adjust their other ones, and they...surprise!...sound better. Could just be an adjustment was needed, could be a psychological, "I have this super expensive and hard to get super fralin throbaktron and it sounds like I pulled a blanket off my amp!"

Don't get me wrong. Pickups matter. Sometimes I wonder if some pickups really sound appreciably better than good stock ones found on high end Gibsons and Fenders.
    Got them Statesboro Blues

Last edited by ch willie; 11-09-2012 at 06:45 PM.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I think you guys have nailed it, if it works it works. I've bought some booteek pups that sucked! BUT, I've also bought some that were killers. Two of my fave tele bridge pups cost under $50. Duncan Broadcaster, and G&L ASAT Classic. But most of it, tone, comes from knowing your gear. It's good to experiment, but when you find something that works, use it. That can be hard cuz it's SO TEMPTING to try a ton of stuff.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Because I'm a lefty, will I need to turn the pickups 180, or are humbuckers the same no matter which string is over each pole?

You don't need to turn the pickups. The pole pieces are adjustable any way you like.

I have a Gibson ES-135 with '57 Classics. I've always liked it a lot but my Carvin DC150 solid body is giving me more of the traditional humbucker tone that I like, even with the Carvin C22-J and C22-T pickups in it.

I think that's more due to the Carvin being a warm sounding mahogany guitar (though I'm told that a through neck guitar with stainless steel frets is bright ) and the Gibson being a brighter maple guitar. I believe it's due to the necks more than anything else.

I've been thinking about putting a pair of TV Jones TV Classics in the Gibson. Not because they're better or worse, I think it'd be a cool change in sound.

I have Classic '57s in an Epi 335 Dot.Great sounding pickups.
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Forum Member

I'm guilty of buying boutique when I do buy pickups. Zhangbuckers in my PRS Korina SE, OC Duffs in my Tele, and Lollars for my scratch build DC LP special. The duffs were for a Warmoth parts o caster though and they sound fantastic. I am curious about other pickups but i have no reason to try anything else. They do everything I want Tele pickups to do. The Zhangbuckers I got because the stock PRS SE Humbuckers were too "modern" sounding. PAF clones really helped. The Lollars I got on reputation within the P90 world. I do fall for the "hand wound quality" thing.

But I also was perfectly fine with the stock PRS P90 pickups in my soapbar SE. Wasn't Leeds but they sounded good and I had no reason to switch since they did sound good. The pickups in a MIM Muddy waters Tele I had back in college were great too. No reason to change those.

In the end I try to temper my fascination with buying "quality" (within reason...some boutique prices are ridiculous even by boutique standards) with an audible and economic sensibility. No reason to change anything if I'm inspired by what I'm hearing.
    Got them Statesboro Blues

Quote Originally Posted by refin View Post
    I have Classic '57s in an Epi 335 Dot.Great sounding pickups.
    I had a set in a Sheraton. It made that guitar come to life. Great guitar, but I could never get used to the heavy neck. The whole guitar was so heavy compared to my friend's ES-335. But those 57 Classics sounded great. Smooth on the neck, a crinkly sting on the bridge.

Well, they sound pretty good in the Les Paul, not too bright. In fact, the bridge, a 57 Classic Plus, is smoother and fuller than the BB Pro. The bass seems to have better definition. I'll get more time to play tonight, and I want to adjust pup height.

I had 57 Classics in 2001 R7 , sounded way better than the R8 with burstbuckers . I tried the Classics in the R8 and it sounded better .

I have a recent Epi LP that has their version of the Classics , sounds awesome .

Why do we crucify ourselves

They're great pups, and I'm glad I got them because they have the exact sound I was going for.

Forum Member

I'll take the 57's over the BB's every time. And I spend a lot of time adjusting height and polepieces. I'm not made of money so I give them every chance to shine. I'm glad you like 'em.

I usually leave guitars stock. Adjust them to taste. If they don't have the magic as is...it isn't the right guitar for me.

I knew from experience that I preferred the 57s to the BBs. They have something in the bridge pup that the BBs don't. There's always a trade-off. I prefer the middle switch position on the BBs to that on the 57s, but I'm still adjusting the pups. I'm a lefty, so I don't get much chance to try before I buy.

I'm gonna put a 57 Classic in my beater Hondo, should balance great with the GFS "Widerange" I stuck in the bridge. Report to follow.

Did you ever try them, Chucko?

Not yet, I might trade it... We'll hafta see. If I do use it, it'll go in the neck position. A good buddy has a LP that uses one there. And tho they aren't even close to being the same guitar, I know I'll like it there.

It'll get you close anyway. I've been playing my Fenders a lot lately but strapped on the LP for a play. Cranked up my DRRI and had a religious experience with the neck pup. The tone is so full and defined.

Forum Member

57 in the neck and 57+ in the bridge is magic in every one of my instruments ,beats those BB'S

Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    57 in the neck and 57+ in the bridge is magic in every one of my instruments ,beats those BB'S
    I sold that Paul--couldn't get attached to it emotionally.

Now I have a LP Traditional, and 57s were stock. I am in love with this guitar, most playable instrument I've ever owned.

the problem with replacing Gibson pickups with Gibson pickups (other than PAFs and Patent numbers), IMO, is that you end up paying as much for a one sized fits all pickup as you would to go to a "boutique" winder and getting exactly what you want for your personal guitar. plus pretty much everyone makes better pickup covers than Gibson, a small but perhaps important consideration.

I like my guitars BRIGHT. My CC15 came with a set of custombuckers, but I put my Dr. Vintage set in there and it sounded almost exactly the same, just brighter. Mission accomplished.

More scoop? More honk? More mids? Tell the dude or dudette what you want and they make it for you.

57 Classics are an awesome set and yes, I agree better than burstbuckers. But almost all good PAF clones are right on top of each other in terms of how good they sound, and from that it follows that the "best" set is the one that is most suited towards your preferences and your personal guitar.

Just my take on the rabbit hole of existential self doubt that is picking a PAF clone set.

Quote Originally Posted by redisburning View Post
    the problem with replacing Gibson pickups with Gibson pickups (other than PAFs and Patent numbers), IMO, is that you end up paying as much for a one sized fits all pickup as you would to go to a "boutique" winder and getting exactly what you want for your personal guitar. plus pretty much everyone makes better pickup covers than Gibson, a small but perhaps important consideration...
    57 Classics are an awesome set and yes, I agree better than burstbuckers. But almost all good PAF clones are right on top of each other in terms of how good they sound, and from that it follows that the "best" set is the one that is most suited towards your preferences and your personal guitar.
    I've never had the chance to try out any real boutique pups. I wouldn't even know how to communicate the bridge HB I'd like to put in one of my Strats. I'm afraid a pup winder would think (know) she was talking to an idiot.

There is a Gibson set that I do not like. It sounds very much like a Seymour Duncan pup I detest--thin and hot bridge pup. No balls. All grizz. And another set sounds to me like the pick is a wrench hitting pieces of unresonant metal. A friend recently played me his 59 reissue and had put those pups in it. Sure it was a recognizable LP sound, but think the worst sounding Les Paul you've ever heard.

I do really like the 57s. They pretty much have what I'm looking for. Almost anything they lack I can make up for with eq

But you have me interested in boutique pups. I have a Strat that may get different pups sometime.