Thread: Still happy that I built my own Tele!

Forum Member

Still happy that I built my own Tele!

Still happy that I built my own Tele! Been dialing in the pickups and finally have it about perfect. Bright and twangy when I need it to be, sweet when I need a little edge taken off. The middle position I can get British invasion jangle and some funky spank depending on where and how I play. Neck position is great too. Kinda Stratty with a bit less shimmer but more punch. It keeps all definition even with a cranked low powered tweed.

Definitely the best Tele I've owned and one of the best I've played!

I'm a total advocate of building your own guitar!

Got them Statesboro Blues

Re: Still happy that I built my own Tele!

Curious about the body and neck wood. Did you buy it precut and or prefinished?

Forum Member

Pre-cut. It's a two piece Warmoth swamp ash body, one piece maple Warmoth neck. I painted it with Reranch Mary Kaye white (had to spray it more opaque than I wanted to to fix and blend a boo boo on the side) and Minwax clear on the body and neck.

I'm in total agreement! I built (assembled) my USACG T-Style back on 2005 or so and it's been my number one for quite a while now. Mine is also the best "Tele" I've played. It sounds and feels just right.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I'm in total agreement! I built (assembled) my USACG T-Style back on 2005 or so and it's been my number one for quite a while now. Mine is also the best "Tele" I've played. It sounds and feels just right.
    I figure painting, polishing, bolting, soldering, and setting up a new fender clone qualifies as building. It takes a lot of work to paint a guitar!

This was a bit of a gateway drug though. Got the last major tool so I can start building (from scratch) a Korina Les Paul Special! The DC version. Should be able to finish, or almost finish, building my templates this weekend!

I agree with you though I also think there should be some differentiation betweenn what you did building this Tele and what you're about to undertake building your Les Paul Special clone.

BTW, the finish on mine "T-Style" (that's another differentiation that I like to make) is wipe on poly- water thin and applied by hand with no filler- kind of a "hippie refinish" kind of look. It looks and feels great.

I have no interest in applying a professional type of gloss finish myself. That's what prevents me from assembling a Strat or a Jazzmaster- I want a nice glossy sunburst finish on those!

Gravity Jim

Agreed. My "built" Warmoth Strat is my favorite guitar ever.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I agree with you though I also think there should be some differentiation betweenn what you did building this Tele and what you're about to undertake building your Les Paul Special clone.
    True. This scratch build will be a lot more work!

You built it, there's no question in my mind. I tell people I build hot rods or Frankensteins, that's different. Glad you're digging it dude, can't wait to see your DC!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

That's a fine looking axe. Loves me a good slab of Telecaster.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Thanks Willie! I really dig this Tele!

Chuck, I can't wait to start building it! I've had the wood all summer but my summer was just too chaotic (in a good way; wedding to plan and lots of travel). Should be starting on Monday!!

Nice! I have a kustom JR I'm just about done with, reading this thread has reminded me I need to finish it.

Didn't build my own, but did pick up a nice parts esquire. Just designed a logo for it today.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

Nice decal idea! I'm gonna do some sort of decal for mine too. Not sure if I'm gonna make it myself or what yet.

Gravity Jim

Here's mine (again)... A graphical treatment of my signature.

That's a great looking logo!

I let USACG take care of mine-

Looks cool. I built (assembled...) a bass a couple years ago (Jazz body with fretless P-neck) and want to do a guitar soon. Planning on basically a 52-reish Tele with a humbucker in the neck. I know I can get one stock, but it's not worth $1800+ that way when I can do it for well under a grand myself (depending on pickups) plus, it's a hell of a lot more fun doing it this way than buying it.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Forum Member

cutting the nut was my favorite part of my strat build - USA Custom woods.
    P e a c e KYC

Strat or Tele out of a 5E3 .

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    Looks cool. I built (assembled...) a bass a couple years ago (Jazz body with fretless P-neck) and want to do a guitar soon. Planning on basically a 52-reish Tele with a humbucker in the neck. I know I can get one stock, but it's not worth $1800+ that way when I can do it for well under a grand myself (depending on pickups) plus, it's a hell of a lot more fun doing it this way than buying it.
    Depending on pickups is key. I'd expect to spend around $800.00 on a homebrew. You end up nickel and diming the heck out of yourself.

Some good looking teles here!
    I have built my homebrews over the years by trying to be patient and looking for affordable deals on parts.

"My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

I love my white tele I put together! It consists of a Baja body, MIM neck, G&L ASAT lead pup, & a Bill Lawrence BL-250 in the neck. I'm using the olde skool 3 barrel brass saddles and it just sounds SO SWEET! Cost me about $450 to put together, but would have gladly paid more. That's how much I like it! People always compliment the tone of it when I play. I sat in for a set with my buddy's band, we did everything from slow nasty blues to "Rockin' in the Freeworld". Just that Tele, a modded SD1, & a tweed deluxe.

Forum Member

I bought my parts at retail prices. An unfinished body and neck from Warmoth costs around $400 or so alone.

I've done that too, and it ain't cheaper! LOL BUT, you can assemble one like Refin or I did, but it takes mucho patience. Also, at that point sometimes you can't pick the color... Oh well! At the end of the day it's only money. Two of my favorite basses are cheapies! As long as the tone is good, who cares!?! Well, you do have to keep a roof over your head, and keep the children fed. Or it's all for naught. Cuz sleeping in the dog house is for suckers!

Forum Member

Beautiful Tele,,,here's my "pieces & parts" best friend[IMG]C:\Users\tj\Pictures\BOB KEEP\GUITAR[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by barewood View Post
    Beautiful Tele,,,here's my "pieces & parts" best friend[IMG]C:\Users\tj\Pictures\BOB KEEP\GUITAR[/IMG]
    Welcome to TFF, @barewood. Sorry, but you can't point to local pictures here, nor can you upload them. You have to point to an image hosting service (there are a number of free ones, such a IMGUR or POSTIMAGES). It more work, unfortunately, but the software here isn't able to store and render images.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!