Thread: NGD – Squier Affinity MINI Strat

NGD – Squier Affinity MINI Strat

So, for my son's 7th birthday, we were in the good ‘ol US of A and we walked into a Guitar Center to check out what they have and walked out with this thing…

So, after getting it home to Germany (this cost 100 US Dollahs and here they cost 165 Euros – outrageous difference) and setting it up, changing strings, lubing nut and saddles etc. it actually plays pretty nice.

Now the buying experience at Guitar Center in Ft. Myers was not so great. After seeing this against a couple of other 3/4 electrics, this was pretty much the no brainer. Construction is solid and quality OK. The setup from the factory was unplayable and after I asked twice if the salesman could get it playing a little bit better (and looking at me like I came from another planet and his face saying “You want me to do what with a 100 dollar guitar” he went over, cranked the truss rod and adjusted the saddles slightly and I could see it played OK.

So, if any of the guys from Fender are reading and other possible purchasers are out there, keep this in mind:

1) Factory setup is non-existent. The guitar was not remotely playable out of the box. It needs to be intonated etc. Why does Fender not put pride in this? It is a 100 dollar guitar but it is kid’s first guitar and most people can not set the things up like us experienced guitar players. Man, this is initial customer experience and product placement. If a kid has a bad experience with his first Fender, he will be a tough sell in the future. And guess what…Guitar Center will not do it either for the 100 bucks. They don’t really give a rat’s ass. They will sell the kid the next Gibson and tell them Fender sucks to make a buck.

2) The tuners really suck. Same lesson as above. For production cost of like 1 dollar more you could get better tuners. I will most likely exchange them

3) The rest of the hardware is good. Hardtail bridge is a weird design but functional. Frets dressed OK but I will smooth them out. Truss rod works.

4) Materials are good and fit and finish quality great for 100 bucks

5) Electronics good, simple and sound great for a 100 dollar guitar.

6) To be honest, I am not sure if the guitar is really in its element tuned in E. I tuned it in G and then in A and the thing sounds really awesome and I think this is the way I am going to get Erock Jr. on his way to be a guitar god…

So in the end we are happy. After some TLC that would cost Joe Normal an extra 50 or 60 dollars the guitar is awesome and will give my young one the great first Fender experience I wanted to give him and his guitar also has a big brother to look up to…

Last edited by Erock_Germany; 08-21-2012 at 01:14 AM.
    "Sorry" - John Belushi as he smashed a guitar in Animal House

Re: NGD – Squier Affinity MINI Strat

Those guitars are really cool!
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

He must be thrilled having a guitar like dad's!

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    He must be thrilled having a guitar like dad's!
    He is indeed. I told him that his father has this wierd thing of naming the guitars and this one was named "Carson" (after Bill who was responsible for Fiesta Red AFAIK) and he said:

"Mine is named Little Carson but now you have to call yours Big Carson"

His hands are a bit small still so I have him playing fretted notes to start on 2 strings playing major scales as he already plays the recorder a bit (the wooden flute thing) and knows basic music notes and timing.

I bought one for my son years ago. It was a really good and very playable guitar. My son lost interest, so I played it for quiet a long time.

It has a really good Strat tone, and really good quack. I'd even play one at a gig... If I had gigs...
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

NoNeck60

I agree, for $100.00, they are a great little guitar. I recently bought my Godson a black one for his birthday. It's a great way to get kids interested and a heckuva lot better than having a kid sitting in front of a TV, playing XBox all day!!

Would make a nice travel guitar--I may get one of those for myself.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

So, after fine tuning and now putting a set of 8s on it so my son can get used to playing with the small fingers this thing is great.

Still the same bitch about the tuners and the saddles are a bit weird - while intonating they get stuck and you have to push them forward or back with the screwdriver - but overall this thing rocks.

I have been playing it also and I am surprised how good the pickups sound and how effective the controls are.

Now only if they would be set up from the factory like this or Guitar Center would give a hoot about how a guitar goes out the door, this would be the best deal for all beginners...not just sons of guitar players than can set things up!

Well, I guess I am the only one posting on this thread...

Anyway, after researching and playing this guitar, I had to make some changes and boy, what a difference!

1) Bought new saddles. Stock one are chromed crap metal so I got some decent ones on Fleabay for 18 Euros for the set. Big quality difference and made of stainless steel. Old ones on the right, new on the left

Finished product:

2) Then the tuners had to go. This is the biggest weakness. Got some vintage Gotohs 15:1 also on Fleabay for 25 Euros used and had to drill out for the bushings and screw them in. 30 minute job.

2.5) While I was at it I added 2 Fender American Standard string trees as the originals were really shabby and sharp (but I guess so are the ones on the vintage style Strats I have but what the heck...

3) I went back to 10s because the light strings did not have enough tension unless tuned up at least a full step.

So all in all, the guitar now really stays in tune, has a bit more sustain and will be more of a joy to play for my 7 year old...and for me too!

That looks good!

The UK. Not all of it mind, just a bit of it.

Interesting. I bought one for my son to play, now he's grown out of it (and plays my tele) it's being played by the daughter of a friend. I like the idea of changing out the saddles and tuners, might look into it when Mia's grown out of it and I get the guitar back.
    'Alton Towers - Where the magic never ends', or so the commercial says. Imagine my disappointment when it closed at 7.30