Thread: GFS, again.

GFS, again.

I've ordered some a couple years ago, bleh... But recently I built a Neil Young "Old Black" using a P90 I made (neck position) & one of their Firebird pups. It sounds damn good! I'm planning on doing a Neil tribute band so I'm good to go.

Tonight I ordered a set of jazzmaster pups for my 12 string project, and a widerange hb for a Pacifica. $100 shipped! I'll post a review once I've got them in and give them a work out. I gotta say that if these other pups are anything like the Firebird pup I think Chucky's gonna be a happy boy.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Re: GFS, again.

My order just shipped!

Cool! Post a pic!
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

I will, I used a jazzmaster body and a '69 Fender Shenandoah neck. Had to make a routing jig since the neck was for an ACO and not an electric. Plus I didn't want to use those goofy split pickups.

Put the Widerange in the Pacifica tonight. Sounds pretty good, tamale I'll run it thru my buddy's Bandmaster. As for the JM pups I need to finish the guard before I can install em.

Forum Member

chuckocaster,

I have a JazzCaster; Jassmaster body with a Strat neck. I have a Kinman Jazzcaster Thickmaster in the Neck and a tele bridge and pu. Because of the 9.6k output of the JM in the neck, I have to upgrade my low output tele pu. I'm thinking of the GFS Hot Lead Overwound (9.6k) or a Zhangbuster Paul Bunyan (9.5k) tele pu - Current tele pu is too soft. Does the tele pu need to exactly match the output of the neck? Price is my motivation. Any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    I will, I used a jazzmaster body and a '69 Fender Shenandoah neck. Had to make a routing jig since the neck was for an ACO and not an electric. Plus I didn't want to use those goofy split pickups.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    ... But recently I built a Neil Young "Old Black" using a P90 I made (neck position) & one of their Firebird pups. It sounds damn good! I'm planning on doing a Neil tribute band so I'm good to go.
    YOU KNOW THE DRILL, BUB -- PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

(Also, a video of you rocking the ever-loving hell out of Powderfinger wouldn't be outside of the realm of decency)

- J

All sounds really interesting. I wanna see!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    All sounds really interesting. I wanna see!
    Ayup!

Where dem pics, kiddo?

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Chuck's post was three years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Chuck's post was three years ago!
    Yes. Well then -- Shows you what kind of attention I'm paying..

Of course -- we could blame Chuck. For not posting a picture. Three years ago.

Yeah -- Chuck's fault.

I'm the little brother, it's ALWAYS my fault... LOL But seriously, I'm gonna take pics right now and post of my results.

Okay, here we are! On the left is my Thinline with a GFS vintage output rail pup, which sounds pretty darn nice! I am VERY pleased with how it sounds, I'm sure a Barden or something else would sound better than it, but I like what I have. On the right is my Hondo that I'm rebuilding for a friend that I made a trade with. We went with a GFS Mean 90 as it got rave reviews in a shootout of HB sized P90. It will get wired up sort of like a Gretsch, it'll have a mini toggle as a "blow switch". Meaning one way will be the pup straight to the jack, and the other direction will access the controls. I'm also going to wire up the 3 way selector to switch between tone caps.

Overall, I think the newer GFS stuff is decent enough. I wouldn't put them in the same league as more expensive or "booteek" offerings, but they are pretty good and get the job done. I guess I'd classify them as middle of the road and able to get the job done.

I will admit though, I am interested in trying the new Slick models of pups they've come out with. It might just be a marketing ploy on their part, but I figure that even if they do suck I'm only out $35