Thread: Fender private label guitars?

Gravity Jim

Fender private label guitars?

I guy on another forum (not guitar specific, more electronic musician oriented) showed a pic of some recent guitar acquisitions (many of us on the forum are guitar players, too)...

Among them was a lefty Tele that he believed (because he was told so by the store he bought it from) is an example of a guitar made by Fender with Fender parts but with the store's name on it in place of Fender's own.

Wha...? Did this ever happen, even once?

Re: Fender private label guitars?

Fender has done some "special run" guitars for stores, which are typically some slight variation on a standard model - painted headstock, funny color, etc. Back in the late 60's they did a couple of specially named models for music stores as well - standard product with a different name. The Custom/Maverick and Musiclander/Swinger/Arrow at the ones I'm thinking of. They were always branded Fender. Fender would never put their headstock shape on something that didn't have one of their brands on it.

Other than that, no. The concept of a lefty being made as a store brand is pretty far-fetched.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Gravity Jim

Yeah, I knew about the FSR guitars. But you confirmed what I was almost entirely sure enough... that you'd have to be an idiot to think that a lefty Tele with the wrong headstock decal was a Fender built for a dealer's private label.

I was going to inform him, but I also know that there's no point in trying to convince someone that a lovely fantasy isn't true.

Got pics?

Gravity Jim

He put up a group pic with the headstock cropped off. :)