Thread: Can you recommend a Crossover - simple live sm - med setup

Can you recommend a Crossover - simple live sm - med setup

I have one, and an EQ that has a hi-lo pass filter and they work ok

I have been looking for a decent used one and here is what I think I am looking at -

Because of how basic my system is, I need 1/4" ins and outs - Ins anyway, I can always get adapters if needed.

I was looking at a BBE Crossover, http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...mono-crossover
    and an ART unit - http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CX311/
    also a DOD unit (can't recall the model)

Here is what I have tied into it - basically a hodge podge of stuff that I have picked up and gotten good deals on. It works and plays pretty well together, but I would like to use on single X Over that handles it like a full range setup for most small - med rooms and a lot of outdoor stuff that isn't "Concert" sized.

Old EV 15" subs (homemade boxes - 8 ohm ea. prob 500/1000 watt or so - unsure of the actual driver but they work well in this capacity) driven with QSC PLX 1602 (800 watts ea speaker bridged)

JBL JRX15 tops - driven with QSC GX5 - I think 450 to each top

Peavey Powered mixer XR8600 - I use the two amps to run monitors, so I have 300 to ea JBL JRX12 and 300 to two Yamaha 10" monitors that are GREAT for vocals!

I run a Y cable to connect the Main out from the 8600 and a Peavey PV10 non-powered mixer that we use to mic the Drums. That merged signal goes into a dual 31 ART EQ with hi/lo pass and then into the X Over (Right now, an old BiAmp model).

I have another 2-15 EQ that I use for the Kick (insert in that channel) and pretty much use the EQ on the 8600 to control most of the mix, and fine tune with the 31 channel EQ.

All that said, I honestly believe for most of what we do - I could get by without the 31 channel if I had a better crossover

I want to make it more manageable - and believe it or not, its not too bad now that we have used it a few times. Most rooms, we only use the 8600 and its been fine for 4 years now.

I have a BBE Sonic Maximizer (462) but really don't use it anymore. I want to go with Less is more in the rack setup -

That being said, I just happened across a 125" snake, 12 ch with 3 returns, which is helpful. I don't run from that far away from the stage, but getting out in front is better when we can - but just to clean the stage up - its been good. Eventually, I want to get a Mixwiz, and maybe one or two light power amps to replace the heavy ones - or powered cabs - but right now, I have this - its paid for, and has been pretty faithful for utility grade eqpt.

Ok - so the question - can you recommend a x over or similar to work on this - or are those good choices?
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Forum Member

Re: Can you recommend a Crossover - simple live sm - med setup

Rane AC-22 The AC-22B is for balanced ins & outs.

Quote Originally Posted by ifshnee22 View Post
    Rane AC-22 The AC-22B is for balanced ins & outs.
    How much do these run used? I am on a fairly tight budget - but don't want to buy junk to suffice - since what I have is working. That said, I don't want to make it the most expensive component either.....
    Kenny Belmont

Forum Member

Frank:
    Sorry, I havent been on for a while. Here's a look ebay.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/rane-ac22b-a...#ht_500wt_1156

no prob - I actually bought a used one - hated it and now am using an Art 2-31 with hi/lo pass works great, was free and has RCA/XLR and 1/4 connections AND ..........works great!
    Kenny Belmont