Thread: Learned my first solo/instrumental!!

Forum Member

Learned my first solo/instrumental!!

In the past I haven't bothered to learn solos. I just learned the rhythm parts. When I picked back up the guitar this winter I vowed to learn COMPLETE songs, not parts of songs. Including solos. For some reason I decided to learn Hideaway from Freddy King. And I learned it!! I'm hit and miss on consistency regarding how well I play it but i can play it!! Consistency will come with time.

Moved on to I'm Not Talking by the Yardbirds now and I'm halfway through that at about 3/4 speed. I love Beck's playing with the Yardbirds!

I guess now I finally have the patience to start slow and stick with it. I'm also sticking with one "hard" song at a time right now. The other songs I learn at the same time are either mainly rhythm or have short, easy solos (ala The Who). It's working so far! I don't think i've ever had this much fun playing the guitar. When it all comes together and my fingers do what I want them to...it just feels good!!! (ha...that's what she said)
    Got them Statesboro Blues

Re: Learned my first solo/instrumental!!

Great news Tugboat.........well done........stay well, take care.
    I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health.

Well done tugboat. I like to learn songs by ear, don't have the patience to sit and read tab/sheet music note for note. It gets easier the more solos you know, there's a lot of lick-stealing going on out there as I'm sure you know!

Forum Member

Yup! I know about the lick stealing. Getting more consistent with Hideaway now. Still working on "I'm Not Talking". There's so much subtlety to master in that 2ish minutes to play it like Beck did. Playing it note for note is one thing...playing it the way Beck did is a totally different matter!
    Got them Statesboro Blues