Thread: GFS Mini 59's

GFS Mini 59's

I've finally gotten around to assembling a project guitar from an old Pacifica neck and a PRS type body bought from fleabay... and have to say - that the GFS Mini 59's I bought for it are way better than I expected... certainly as good if not better than any mini HB's I've ever used...

The bridge model is especially good... just slightly overwound at 8.8k it has a tight, focused response with very balanced tone... thing I like about it is it's not 'too anything'... not too trebley, middy or bassy... just very responsive and the neck is a little warm for my liking but I have yet to shove a bit more foam under it to get it closer to the strings (they mount like P-90 types) before making a final decision on it... what's even more impressive is that I forgot to earth the bridge and there doesn't seem to be any ill effects from this... even in single coil mode... extraordinary!

I have also used a GFS AB-1 type bridge and stop tail and have to say that I am impressed with the quality of these as well... they feel a decent weight, are plated well and fit together very well with very little play... so... top marks to GFS for providing decent quality stuff for a very good price!!!
    If I could find a road to get away it wouldn't be too soon....... Shipwreck Moon.......

Re: GFS Mini 59's

Why not just raise up the pole pieces on the neck pup? I find that I like doing that as opposed to raising a "warm" neck pup.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Hey Chucko... I've received a reply from GFS suggesting I try the 'Crunchy' Mini as the it's got a ceramic magnet and will be brighter than the Mini 59 which has alnico... OK - so they're suggesting I spend more dough with them but for what they cost and the exchange rate being what it is at the moment (plus having a bit of a paypal balance to get rid of) it's worth a shot in the dark...
    Last edited by yankeerob; 04-23-2012 at 05:38 PM.
    If I could find a road to get away it wouldn't be too soon....... Shipwreck Moon.......

I wish they'd had these when I had my Epiphone Firebird VII. The stock pickups where so suckadelic that I finally ditched the instrument although it played and looked fabulous.

At the time, all they had was Seymour Duncan-built ones with boutique pricing.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

That is a shame... I packed another layer of foam under the neck P/U and now have it so it's approx 2-3mm away from the strings when fretted at the top fret and it really does respond better... and in response to Chucko's suggestion - and thanks for that - I've always been one to screw the the adjustables down and raise the pickup... funny what you just get used to doing...

As an aside - I've gone for a 'Soapbar 180' instead of a 'Crunchy' and just managed to squeeze in their 'Liquid Trem' and the postage ... but now that this is sorted the SB180 will go in something else... report on the trem pedal as soon as it arrives... next step is to see if I can get a pair of them into an Epi 'Dot' that I never use without it looking too crap... otherwise it's gonna hit the road... no point in keeping it otherwise... keep y'all posted