Thread: Playing notes outside the scale?

Forum Member

Playing notes outside the scale?

I'm learning Hideaway (the Freddy King version), and I know it's in E Major. At times he plays notes that aren't in the scale . The time I'm thinking of is around the one minute mark when he starts playing the low string riffing in at the top of the neck in the first and third positions. Is this called anything when someone does this or is it just called "playing whatever the heck you want"?
    Got them Statesboro Blues

Re: Playing notes outside the scale?

Do you mean outside of the E major scale? Blues playing is almost never based on a straight major scale. Like most blues players, he plays a mixture of major and minor pentatonic scales.
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doc W View Post
    Do you mean outside of the E major scale? Blues playing is almost never based on a straight major scale. Like most blues players, he plays a mixture of major and minor pentatonic scales.
    The entire first minute of the song seems to be in E major. But at one point during this part he plays 2 - 2# - 3 (or 2 - 3b - 3). Then it jumps to the A string and the riff repeats.

Right, the intro melody "head" is in the major scale, but it jumps around. Aolian/Pentatonics are based around minor scales, and the blues is based around tension between major and minor. Knowing how to move between them is important for good blues playing.

I'm a hack, myself.

Remember, if you need to, you can always bend slowly and deliberately to the other scale if you need to. Like you mean it. That's called "style and attitude."
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

TFF Stage Crew

I would see the #2/3b as a #9. But it's just a passing note anyway, so yeah, he kind of is "playing whatever the heck" he wants, lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post

Remember, if you need to, you can always bend slowly and deliberately to the other scale if you need to. Like you mean it. That's called "style and attitude."

Preferably with a really good blues face!

Another good trick for blues\jazz is what I call slurring the notes sliding into from above or below the target note..

Quote Originally Posted by tugboat View Post
    Preferably with a really good blues face!
    Don't forget the hat and black leather vest.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Don't forget the hat and black leather vest.
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Quote Originally Posted by tugboat View Post
    The entire first minute of the song seems to be in E major. But at one point during this part he plays 2 - 2# - 3 (or 2 - 3b - 3). Then it jumps to the A string and the riff repeats.
    The whole song is in E major. However, he is not using the major scale. He is using a combination of major and minor pentatonic scales. The reason that it sounds so major is the emphasis on the major 3rd in the signature melody. But listen closely, and you will hear hammer-on 3rd's and flattened 7's, especially toward the end of the first minute. The accompaniment is also filled with flattened 7's right from the start.

If it had a true E major feel to it, you would hear the 7th degree of the major scale a lot more prominently, especially at the V-I cadence. The fact that it is not there in any distinct way puts the melody a lot more toward the major pentatonic.

But this is way too much analysis for a simple blues like this which was played largely intuitively and not derived consciously from any theory of harmony.

Even that last paragraph saying we are being too analytic is too analytic.
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."