Thread: H&K Rotosphere vs Tech21 Roto Choir vs Strymon Lex

H&K Rotosphere vs Tech21 Roto Choir vs Strymon Lex

I'm currently using a Hughes & Kettner Rotosphere that I've owned for many years. Though I love its sound, I'm tired of its bulk and 24vac requirement. I'd like a replacement that will fit on my board and use the same 9vdc as everything else.

I've been considering the Tech21 Roto Choir and Strymon Lex. I'm not considering the Neo Ventilator due to its high price.

Has anyone here compared these pedals?

TFF Stage Crew

Re: H&K Rotosphere vs Tech21 Roto Choir vs Strymon Lex

I've only seen the videos on YouTube offering comparison. Tell you what, though- if you buy the Strymon & don't like it, I'd bet you could sell it on eBay for more than you bought it for from Strymon. Those things are as rare as hen's teeth.

I noticed that Strymon has a 10 week lead time for the Lex. That wouldn't be a problem for me because I already have a good Leslie sim that I'll sell to pay for part of the new pedal after I know that I like it.

Forum Member

Did you get the Strymon Lex? How do you like it? I'm thinking about same!

Hi Jeff. I wish I had followed up with this back then.

I went with the Tech 21 Rotochoir. I still really like this pedal 5 years later! I've found that it's more flexible and convenient than the Rotosphere.

I have a few small issues with it-
    -It does inject a slight bit of noise when used with even an isolated power supply, though not as much as the Rotosphere or a real Leslie cab
    -There's no light to tell you what the speed is set at before you activate the pedal
    -It defaults back to the slow speed when you unplug the power supply
    -It switches speed when you turn Biamped on and off
    -There's no brake

Even with those issues (all of which I feel they should've addressed in the design stage), the band and audience know that I'm going after an organ speaker type of sound and I like the sound too, so I live with the issues. I use it mostly in the non Biamped (Vibratone) mode.

I never even got around to trying a Lex!

In a live band context, which works better for "fake organ" the H&K Rotosphere vs Tech21 Roto Choir?

I need to test run one of the new EH organ pedals as well, but using my POG (the original one) and the Boss RT-20 wasn't cutting it. The POG was just a churchy sounding organ at best and the RT-20 didn't sound like a leslie in any capacity. Even in a loud rock band it didn't cut the mustard.

I don't remember if it was the C3 or B3 I tried, but I think one of them may work with a good leslie sim for a live band.

Anyone else use one live?
    Fuzz is proof God love us and wants us to be happy. - Franklin
    http://www.frankdenigris.com

TFF Stage Crew

Pretty sure the only difference between the B3 & the C3 is the cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
    In a live band context, which works better for "fake organ" the H&K Rotosphere vs Tech21 Roto Choir
    Neither, really. They're both just a guitar through a rotating speaker type of sound. I had an EHX B9 pedal for a while and enjoyed it. Very organ-like. It sounded good live. In the end, it wasn't my thing and I sold it.

Forum Member

Hi guys. Thanks for the replies. Ill have to do more research. I know Strymon makes good stuff but it has to be outstanding for that price! And im not ina hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Neither, really. They're both just a guitar through a rotating speaker type of sound. I had an EHX B9 pedal for a while and enjoyed it. Very organ-like. It sounded good live. In the end, it wasn't my thing and I sold it.
    I get that, I meant which is better for a live band? The Boss pedal I use is just ok when used for guitar sounds and the combo of the RT20 and the POG wasn't inspiring at all.

What i need to do is try the B9 or C9 with the RT20 and a band. If I like the organ sounds enough I will move onto finding a new rotary pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
    I get that, I meant which is better for a live band? The Boss pedal I use is just ok when used for guitar sounds and the combo of the RT20 and the POG wasn't inspiring at all.

What i need to do is try the B9 or C9 with the RT20 and a band. If I like the organ sounds enough I will move onto finding a new rotary pedal.
    I enjoyed the B9 with a band. Oddly, it did not play well with the Rotochior. It was best to use its own onboard rotary speaker sound.

Between the Rotosphere and the Rotochoir, the Rotosphere had a slightly more convincing sound. Neither one sounds completely like a real rotating speaker (I had a Leslie 145 and a Hamptone preamp to run it), but they're a lot easier to haul around.

They both sound a lot better in stereo, BTW.
    Last edited by Don; 07-19-2017 at 08:32 AM.

Forum Member

I've been looking at the Neo Ventillator videos.Wow! But that price is crazy! It shuts me down every time i look at it!!!

TFF Stage Crew

Word on the street is that the Neo is hands down the best & more convenient than the H&K, but you are right, $500 is way too much. I'm considering the new EH Lester G

Forum Member

Thanks for the reply. I must be honest. I know Strymon has an excellent product reputation,and had been looking hard at the lex. Really talked myself out of buying it a couple times. When i finally "just took a look" at the vent i was stunned. I watched the pedal show video which compares them and the neo is really impressive! $500 bucks is twice as much as i would want to pay! Crazy! But,I don't know? I like good stuff!
    Last edited by Jeffp; 07-20-2017 at 05:00 AM. Reason: I'm almost 60. No hurry!

A rotary pedal is the only one I want that I don't have. I appreciate all the info here. Man, aren't true rotary cabs expensive? I just love the sound of the guitar on Cream's "Badge" and Ringo's "It Don't Come Easy"--both of which I believe are George Harrison.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    ...............They both sound a lot better in stereo, BTW.
    Thanks for the response! I agree about the stereo.

Forum Member

What would it require to be placed in true stereo? Two amps?,two cabs?How should it placed in chain of effects? In front? In an effects loop of one? Of both? Its a lot to think about! In mono probably not worth it.
    Last edited by Jeffp; 07-20-2017 at 12:58 PM. Reason: I'm old

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffp View Post
    What would it require to be placed in true stereo? Two amps?,two cabs?How should it placed in chain of effects? In front? In an effects loop of one? Of both? Its a lot to think about! In mono probably not worth it.
    I don't generally use an amp with an effects loop, but when I did, the Rotosphere sounded better in it. It made less noise as well. I assume the Rotochoir would sound better in an effects loop as well.
    The Rotosphere had separate right and left jacks. The Rotochoir has one stereo output jack. To use it in stereo you need two amps or a stereo amp of some sort. They might sound good straight into a PA.

Forum Member

A whole lot to think about! Thanks!

I use a Boss RT20 on my Roland Keyboard for organ sounds and it works great - especially with an expression pedal to control speed. Not sure how it would sound on a guitar, but it works really well on organ.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    A rotary pedal is the only one I want that I don't have. I appreciate all the info here. Man, aren't true rotary cabs expensive? I just love the sound of the guitar on Cream's "Badge" and Ringo's "It Don't Come Easy"--both of which I believe are George Harrison.
    Actually a rotating cab is not very expensive. You can scour Craigslist & /or eBay & find a one or two speed Styrofoam drum for cheap. But in the long run they are a hassle: the weight, the extra setup time, the extra amp... Its so much easier to grab a pedal & be done.
    A keyboard player friend brought a Neo to a gig for me to check out. I didn't want to give it back! It meets every measure except for affordability.

Forum Member

is that neo the mini or the full ventillator?fully agree about"Badge"! if you listen to Storyville's "piece of your soul"or better yet watch the live at antones David Holts part sounds like hes using this type effect. Not on his solo but in the verse's,and sounds amazing!
    Last edited by Jeffp; 07-21-2017 at 06:31 AM.

TFF Stage Crew

It was the big Neo. The little one hasn't gotten such good reviews

Forum Member

Good talk guys! Thank You!