Thread: Full Pickguard Shield - More Glassy Please

Forum Member

Full Pickguard Shield - More Glassy Please

I have build with a full pickguard shield under the pickguard. I am pleased with how quiet the guitar is. But...do yall use these?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...RWXGB&ZYXSEM=0

The tone of the guitar is good but not as glassy as I would like. Could it be the shield? Tone cap @ .022uf ? My gut feeling is the PUs just dont make the sound.

Thin oiled/wipe varnish 2pc alder USA Custom body, Callaham hardware, Frawlin vintage hot PUs with plate under the bridge PU, bone nut, 250k pots, modern wiring, Tone cap @ .022uf, lacquered USA Custom 54 neck with rosewood board, Fender pickguard with full shield on underside, .10 strings, Schaller tuner, no string T, set up by the Fender guidelines.

Thoughts?
    P e a c e KYC

Strat or Tele out of a 5E3 .

Re: Full Pickguard Shield - More Glassy Please

Could be anything, including a dead sounding piece of wood.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

I'm not a fan of shielding near the pickups on a Strat though I doubt that shield makes that much of a difference.

I used Fralin Vintage Hots in my Strats for many years and found them not to be really "glassy", even unwound to lower their output.

I replaced the Fralins with a set of Duncan Antiquity Surfers in my most recent Strat and have been very happy with them. Even though they seem to be higher output (the bridge pickup read 9k ohms), they have more "glassyness", "chime", "sparkle" or whatever you like to call it compared to the Fralins. They match well with the guitar I have them in.

Forum Member

Don thanks for that opinion of the Fralin Vintage Hots. Overall I'm very pleased the outcome - I only just noticed this difference between this guitar in question and my American Deluxe with SCN pick ups through my SF Champ I just got. It has quite a bit more treble than my 5E3.

I think Im gonna try a cap change.
    P e a c e KYC

Strat or Tele out of a 5E3 .

I have never been a fan of shielding a Strat or Tele I think you lose some of the sound of what make's those guitars sound like they do.