Thread: P-90 Polepiece Observation

Forum Member

P-90 Polepiece Observation

Just an observation on the Polepiece height on my Soapy SE. I recently re-stringed it and the strings have finally broken in. I ended up adjusting the Polepieces to some pretty whacky heights. On the bridge pickup, they're all fairly flush with the cover except the D and g strings. Not unusual. The pickup itself is pretty close to the strings too. On the neck pickup though, it's pretty far away from the strings but i ended up having to adjust the Polepieces for the B and high E strings pretty high to get it to sound right. Essentially to add high end and make those strings sound as strong as the rest of the strings. The rest are fairly close to the cover on the neck pickup. Does this happen to anyone else?
    Got them Statesboro Blues

Re: P-90 Polepiece Observation

I've never noticed myself. I start with them flushand then move the pup up and down to find the sweet spot. Then I move the pole pieces to balance out the pup. I don't measure stuff like that. Where it ends up is where it lives.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

I'll be keeping them put now. New strings are just brighter for a couple weeks and I wasn't used to the difference. Adjusted the neck pickup all the way down and adjusted the pole pieces perfectly now. The bridge pickup was OK but the neck is really sweet now that I've adjusted them.
    Got them Statesboro Blues

I do that with muddy pups, have to have adjustable polepieces though.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

That works well with a darker neck P90 to balance them out...lower the bobbin, raise the polepieces.
    Last edited by ES350; 05-06-2012 at 07:18 AM.