Thread: New Compressor Day

New Compressor Day

The new band has decided to put "Wicked Game" onto the setlist, so it was time to drag out the old Orange Squash pedal. Sounded pretty good, but wasn't doing it just right. Mind you, while I'm only an occaisional compressor user, I hate the DynaComp and Keeley, and most compressors in general. Most of them sound too dull and ham-handed for me to get anything useful out of them. The aforementioned BBE, which is supposed to be based on an Dan Armstrong unit (but must be seriously modded looking on the inside), is a lot better in that regard than the typical MXR-based compressor.

So, for shits and giggles, I stopped by Guitar Center* just to see if I could do any better. I plugged in a MXR Custom Comp, and over the din, I thought it sounded pretty good, so I brought it home to A/B with the OS.

This thing sounds really, really good. Nothing like the DynaComp stuff I've played before. Full frequency sound, natural feel. With the knobs at noon, it's one of those "you only notice it when you turn it off" pedals. All those chick'n pickin' sixth runs come out just like you want 'em. All the Fender attack and snap, but with a sustain/release more like a humbucker. I'm sold. Between this and the Carbon Copy, Jeorge Tripps has made Dunlop/MXR a viable company again in my eyes.

*Holy flashback, Batman. Walking into GC today was a blast from the past. A couple of fifteen year olds cranked up on the half stacks, as always, but rather than hearing chuggachuggachug chuggachuggachuggachug, I heard in succession Smells Like Teen Spirit, Sweet Child O' Mine, Enter Sandman, All Apologies. It was really wierd.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Gravity Jim

Re: New Compressor Day

Sounds cool, Kap'n. I hate most pedal compressors, too, but use my Tone Press all the time; you got a good one, too!

I borrowed a Joe Meek FloorQ compressor for a week or so and was blown away by it! At first I didn't think it was doing much. Then it snuck up on me. My guitar had so much "pop" and was easier to play! Unlike other pedal compressors that I had tried, this one added to my sound rather than took away from it.

It was expensive, though!

This one wasn't too bad, relatively speaking. $130. People spend that for modded tubescreamer circuits all the time.
    orange picks

Gravity Jim

At boot eek pedal prices, $130 is nothing. I paid $150 for my Tone Press brand new at felt like I got a bargain.

OTOH, I'd feel better giving a small guy $150 for something he developed and made himself than $130 to a big company. Unfortunately, our local Barber dealer doesn't stock anything. I can't blame him - his clientele would rather buy Boss and Dan-o products.
    orange picks

Unfortunately, the FloorQ costs twice that!!! It's an entirely different type of pedal and it sounds great, but still....

Gravity Jim

Well, it sounds like what you bought works just as well for you as the Barber does for me, so it doesn't matter where it came from. I'd read good things about the Custom Comp, and the reviews at GC/MF are enthusiastic.