Thread: Tugboatcaster build

Forum Member

Tugboatcaster build update 2.20.2012

Just started the Tugboatcaster! Using zpoxy finishing resin for the grain filler. The last time she'll have bare wood:

Untitled by dafack01, on Flickr

It worked great. Hope it sands as well as it spreads. Good thing is that the resin really hides the cockroach crap stains so I might do yet another last second switch to Mary Kaye White. I'm probably a couple weeks from needing color anyways.

The horns and the top of the neck pocket were super thirsty. Ended up getting a little overzealous with the zpoxy but the horns just kept sucking up the zpoxy.

Thirsty Horns:

Hope it sands well! Got most of it to stop sucking up resin:

I did the front and the top half of the sides. I'll be doing the back, bottom half of the sides, and the cavities and neck pocket today or tomorrow. Then the first round of sanding! There's still a couple spots I think need more filler but nothing a second application shouldn't fix.
    Last edited by tugboat; 02-20-2012 at 04:39 PM.
    Got them Statesboro Blues

Forum Member

Re: Tugboatcaster build

wow that looks thick and juicy. I hope it sands well too. I like the bug poop. There is always something about any project that triggers some memory or reminds us of the process. But, sometimes its better to forget.
    P e a c e KYC

Strat or Tele out of a 5E3 .

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KYChucky View Post
    wow that looks thick and juicy. I hope it sands well too. I like the bug poop. There is always something about any project that triggers some memory or reminds us of the process. But, sometimes its better to forget.
    Somehow I don't envision this being called the crapcaster or roachcaster!

It is really thick there but I figure slathering it on is lesser an evil than filling it over and over and over again.

Forum Member

I have always enjoyed the sanding process of wood working. keep us posted.
    P e a c e KYC

Strat or Tele out of a 5E3 .

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KYChucky View Post
    I have always enjoyed the sanding process of wood working. keep us posted.
    Will do!

Forum Member

An update for today. Been working on both the body and the neck. The neck is coming along nicely. Have a couple small sags to sand out but I have about 6-7 coats on it already so I'm guessing I'm a couple coats away from being finished spraying? The Minwax has sprayed incredibly well. There were a couple coats where I realized I had the nozzle turned the wrong way but everything evened out on its own.

I've done a ton of sanding to the body. I used Z-Poxy Finishing Resin as a grain filler and the sides kept on sucking it up so I applied it, shall we say, very liberally on the sides to counter it. There's a couple spots I've sanded down to the wood but everything is sanded so nice and flat and clear that I'm wondering if I'm ready for Sanding Sealer? Most of the body isn't sanded down to bare wood but aside from some last sanding to do around the horns everything is nice and flat. No more glossy areas. Would this be safe to do with an epoxy grain filler coat or should I sand down to bare wood? Or can epoxy double as both grain filler and sanding sealer; even out the sand-thrus, take it down to #400, and do a couple coats of clear to lock it in before moving on to the Mary Kaye White?

I would sand it down to the wood then apply a sand seal you will end up with a much more uniform finish that will last a long time... Lookin good so far..

Forum Member

I think I have it down to the wood finally. Wherever I sand the dust is yellow (not white). Tomorrow I'll be applying the second (much thinner) coat of grain filler. Sanding this thing was a pain in the butt since I ended up applying the filler...shall we say...very liberally in some areas.

Forum Member

Almost done grain filling.

Now this is a thin, smooth coat of grain filler:

I'm to the wood and the grain is filled but there are still some little shiny slivers of unsanded epoxy in the grain still. Gonna do a third coat of sealer for good measure just to make sure everything is completely filled. I figure it's better to fill with epoxy than sanding sealer since the sealer will cure and shrink for a long time afterwards.

Example, though it's really hard to see:

Forum Member

Color!!

But what the heck happened here and how do I fix it? The bottom of the guitar looks like this too. It did this pretty much as soon as paint hit it.