Thread: EJ Neck

Forum Member

EJ Neck

just played an Eric Johnson Strat and a 57 relic strat at the local shop - love the neck on both. I can find nut width, fret size and board radius, and 'soft V', 'Fat 50s' neck description for the 57 relic but no actual measurements for thickness (front to back). Does anyone have the spec for either of these necks? I have got to order one from USACG !!!

Thanks,
    P e a c e KYC

Strat or Tele out of a 5E3 .

Re: EJ Neck

USACG will have the data on the EJ. They made one for a friend of mine. The first EJ Strat was a repro (more or less) of Eric Johnson's own guitar, obviously, and the neck on his is a 1957 neck, with the soft V profile, hence the similarity. There are two main differences between the neck on his guitar and the classic 1957 neck. First, he had his planed to a 12 inch radius, and second, the headstock is "scooped" out a little to increase the string angle past the nut, so you dont need string trees.

Keep in mind too that in the 50s especially, Fender necks could vary a lot. I got a bunch of measurements for a Tele neck from owners of 1956 Teles and they were all different, some dramatically so. If for some reason USACG does not have the measurements, send me a message and I will give you the data on mine. You will also need the shape at different points along the neck, not just the thickness.
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

Forum Member

I worked with USACG and received the neck yesterday. The EJ and the 57 relic is what they call the '54. I got it with conical fret board 10"-12" and rose wood fret board and medium jumbo frets. SO EXCITED. It looks real good. Appears to be very well crafted.
    P e a c e KYC

Forum Member

this neck plays fantastic. If anyone of yall are even considering a different neck, go for it.
    P e a c e KYC

Chucky, mine is not exactly the same as yours, but it is still and EJ neck and I love it. I am getting a Tele made with a very similar profile.

USACG appears to have a well-deserved reputation for delivering the goods!
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

I have a USACG neck on my Strat and "Tele" and love them both! The buying experience was great as well. When it came time to buy the second neck, Tommy looked the first one up and told me exactly what I ordered!

Forum Member

I really like this '54 profile. Everything else feels so... ... . . . .. small.
    P e a c e KYC