Thread: 51 Nocaster details

Forum Member

51 Nocaster details

All,

I have tried to do some research, but really wanna hear it from you who know....what are the thoughts on these? The neck is poly, but the bodies are nitro? It that's correct, why?

Any input on these would be welcomed, as I have a 52 reissue right now, but am thinking on getting this instead.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Mark
    http://www.thefenderforum.com/forum/image.php?u=3823&type=sigpic&dateline=1183934350

Re: 51 Nocaster details

If you are talking about the Custom Shop Nocasters that are floating around in different forms (these are the only ones I know) they are definitely nitro all arounf (neck and body).

Necks are just finished and polished glossy.

Nice guitars. Sound killer. Are quite expensive (2500 Dollars or so)

Lots of nice Teles out there for less but the one I played (it was an NOS) sounded and felt great. The neck is big like I like them (I have a Strat with a Nocaster neck) and I am a big supporter of the idea that big neck = big sound on a Fender. Mind you not the only factor but this helps...

Your 52 is not shabby and the necks on those certainly are not the thinnest.

The Nocaster will not sound that much different IMHO. It will feel very different with that neck if you dig it.
    Last edited by Erock_Germany; 11-25-2011 at 11:15 AM.
    "Sorry" - John Belushi as he smashed a guitar in Animal House

Forum Member

Thanks,

I really like my 52 reissue, but I have to tell you, the weight of the custom shop stuff, and the even bigger neck appeal to me.

Thanks again!

Mark
    http://www.thefenderforum.com/forum/image.php?u=3823&type=sigpic&dateline=1183934350

I have two Fender John Cruz masterbuilt Nocasters. The Fender web site and paper documentation claims they are finished in nitro lacquer.

Obviously, on this and other forums, many submit arguments that detail differences between "today's" nitro lacquer finishes and the nitro lacquer finshes that were used in the "past". I won't comment on that issue any further.

What I will say is that the masterbuilt Nocaster is a fine musical instrument. I have old Fender Teles from the mid 1950's. They are very good original specimens. The Teles sound "old" as does any guitar made decades ago. But, in my opinion, the masterbuilt Nocasters are just as good of musical instruments as the old Teles. In some ways better I think.

The team built models are made very well. But in my opinion, the tonality and weight of the woods used for team built models does not seem as "consistently superb" as with the masterbuilt models. My sense is that more effort goes into selecting woods with good tone (and lighter weight?) for the masterbuilt guitars. In fact, at Fender roadshows, masterbuilders have stated this is the case.

In my view, the difference in the look, feel, tone and playability of the masterbuilt Nocaster and the 52 Tele RI is considerable. You would have to be the judge as to what you prefer.
    Last edited by buckaroo; 11-26-2011 at 11:55 PM.

Forum Member

Thanks,

I am right there with you...as nice as my 52 reissue is, it pales I'm comparison to some of the Custom Shop stuff I have played, not all, but many are just so nice, and you can feel and hear the difference.

Again, thanks to all for your input!

Mark

NoNeck60

I'm a little late to the party here, but thought I'd offer my opinion.
    I currently have a '51 Nocaster NOS. I bought this brand new, approx 4 months ago. However, it was made in 2007, meaning it sat new, in stock for 4 years at the Guitar Center in bought it from. The purchase price, however, made it well worth my while!
    It has the typical characteristics of the CS Fenders made in that time period; ie. vintage sized frets and a 7.25" fingerboard radius. If I had my choice, I would have preferred a 9.25" radius, with either 6105 or 6130 frets.

I found in my search for the Teles, that Fender has or had begun making these guitars with 9.25/med.jumbo combo around 2008, after many requests to do so.

For those of you who want a slimmer neck, GC did an order in late 2009/early 2010 of Nocasters with '65 "C" shaped necks, 9.25"/med.jumbo frets.
    These were relic only models.

I have to say, after owning and playing both AVRI Strats and Teles, in both the regular and Hot Rod versions, I found very little difference in the sound, fit/finish and "vibe". My only issue is the neck size, which has forced me into the CS version ( I have to have that huge "U" shaped neck. Also the reason I have another Music Zoo '60 NoNeck Strat on order).

Snob appeal aside, if you are happy with a smaller neck, stay with the AVRI (7.25" radius/vintage frets)/Hot Rod (9.25" radius/med.jumbo version. Do the modern wiring update and if you "must" have Nocaster p'ups, then switch those too.
    If, like me, you love the big, beefy, baseball bat neck, go for the Nocaster. You can find them on Ebay, Craigslist or even at a GC in the mid teens.

As for finishes, Nocasters are all nitro. The AVRI/Hot Rod necks are nitro as well, but not sure about the body ( I thought they were nitro also). The weight can vary, but typically, the Nocasters ( as with all Fender CS) use the lighter/premium grain wood.

I have come to love my Nocaster. When I did the wiring update, I added a Dr. Q cap. I'm really very happy with the guitar overall. I sold my rosewood board NoNeck Strat in June and ordered another with a 1 piece maple neck. I bought the Nocaster to hold me over until the Strat gets delivered. However, I really think I'm going to have trouble giving it up, I like it that much!!!!

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.
    Dave

Forum Member

Thanks,

It's the neck on the nocaster that really draws me, as well as the woods. The guitar I'm eyeing has tone for days....

Not sure of the neck radius. I'll recheck it!

Thanks!
    Last edited by MCHolley; 03-24-2013 at 08:53 PM.

I Played a relic and NOS, and even though I don't like relics this one was awesome

Big neck, great tone the thing screamed!!! It oozed old guitar vibe

Forum Member

All,

Played one again today, all the people in the room were commenting on the tone, unplugged....

Gotta get one!

Mark
    Last edited by MCHolley; 12-22-2011 at 09:04 PM.

My 1960 Time Machine Strat has a Noneck on it....(Nocaster Neck Dimensions)...

A fat neck like that is the nuts on a Fender...I think it beefs up the tone but there are certainly different opinions on that one...

Go for the gusto. They are cool!

Forum Member

Well,

16 months later, and mine is on it's way. Full report upon arrival!

Mark

You're gonna want another....

I played one a few weeks ago and even though I am mainly a Strat man I am really thinking of selling my Baja Tele and getting a Nocaster...just as you said, the Thing was just so lound and resonant...unplugged. Then I plugged it in and Jesus was it sweet.

It did have the "modern" wiring setup...

Congratulations. Post some sictures soon!

Forum Member

I will!

What part of Germany are you in? My father was military, so I lived there for 4 years, Zweibrucken and Kaiserslautern.....great memories.

Mark

I am an American expat living near Cologne...have been out of the US for 21 years and have lived all over the world but here for the past 8 years and will most likely stay put...

I have friends and a cousin in the Air Force so we get down to Ramstein every now and then which is near Kaiserslautern (or K-Town as the military folks refer to it). Great place. Going to the bases there is like getting transported to the US for a brief period - kinda gets rid of the feel of being homesick even after all these years!

Forum Member

Great to hear....loved it there.

I get the guitar today after wanting one for years... I have had two 52 Tele reissues... One stolen, one I am now selling, due to this guitar arriving....

Happy Day!

Pics will follow.

Mark

Forum Member

Ok....

I have had it for about a week now...it is everything I wanted it to be, it's just got tone and vibe for days...

I won't miss that AVRI 52 Tele one bit....sold it, and will never look back. This guitar makes that one pale in comparison - weight and tone.

Awesome.

Mark

congrats on your new guitar!

HELL YEAH!!!!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or it didn't happen!!!!!!!

Forum Member

Ok,
    here's a pic from th back yard...nothing fancy. Man, this guitar is a nice one....2008.

Mark

Are those compensated saddles on that thing?
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Are those compensated saddles on that thing?
    Yes, good eye!

Mark

Nice I like