Thread: Custom Vibrolux Reverb

Custom Vibrolux Reverb

I played my '66 Vibrolux Reverb then a recent Custom Vibrolux Reverb at a blues jam last night.

I played a set of 4 songs with my VR. Later, they invited us back up for 2 more songs and the host figured it would be easier if I just used the new VR that was up there. The guy had a pedalbord connected to it. I knew I'd need my '69 Pedal for a song so I had him disconnect the whole pedalboard and just used my pedal.

My amp had more of that old blackface sparkle and shimmer. The new amp had more punch and was maybe a tad less dynamic, "3D" and lively sounding. It was harder to play clean smoothly on. It was loud as hell (I had to turn it down a bit), though I have a master volume in mine that was set about 2/3 up.

The new amp sounded really, really good with my '69 Pedal (I got the impression that this amp is a really good pedal platform) though I prefered my amp overall.

Re: Custom Vibrolux Reverb

Stock speaker's in both?

The speakers in my VR are the original Jensens.

I assume the speakers in the new amo were stock.

The guy was using what appeared to be a stock Road Worn Strat and had all Boss and Ibanez pedals that also appeared to be stock.

He seemed to be more of a guitar player than a tweaker or snob for stuff that was fancier than it needed to be!

At one time I recall looking at the circuit of the Custom Vibrolux Reverb and concluding that it was essentially a Vibroking; only with two speakers, a printed circuit board, fixed reverb settings and no fat switch. My memory is that it had no feedback loop, just like the Vibroking.

I think that if it had a tube rectifier and a negative feedback loop it would be very close to a blackface VR circuit, though not blackface construction.

I don't have the current schematics so if I am wrong in my memory I will stand corrected in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    I think that if it had a tube rectifier and a negative feedback loop it would be very close to a blackface VR circuit, though not blackface construction.
    I'll bet the lack of a negative feedback loop and different speakers were the biggest differences. I wouldn't mind having a switch or pot in my amp's negative feedback loop.

The CVR is the old 2x10 VVRI modded to distort earlier. IMHO, it would sound better modded back to the previous spec.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
    The CVR is the old 2x10 VVRI modded to distort earlier. IMHO, it would sound better modded back to the previous spec.
    So the "mod" is removing the neg feedback loop? Or do you see other changes? I agree the non modded spec woud be best. The speakers in the VVRI were disagreeable to me. I thought they souded harsh when overdriven...I suppose the OT in that amp could have contribited as well. It would be cool if they did a VVRI that was from the Custom shop with Webers, good trannys and a pine box.

Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    So the "mod" is removing the neg feedback loop?
    That's most of it. I'm pretty sure there's a webpage documenting the changes, and how to un-mod them.

The current CVR speakers probably aren't much/any better than the old VVRI speakers.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

I had one modded to "vibroverb" specs, *or* added a NFB
    I also had one "un-modded" The NFB gets rid of some hiss and I think improved it overall. I did not want to sell it, it was part of a trade deal
    (for a '58 bassman)
    do I look like I know what I'm doing?

This amp did not have any hiss that was noticeable in a live situation.

Come to think of it, last time I played at this same jam a few years ago I played through then host's Hot Rod Deluxe (clean channel only) and was happy with it!

Could it be that I have less discerning taste than I thought?! Have I been wasting all this time with a vintage Vibrolux Reverb when a Peavey Bandit would do?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Have I been wasting all this time with a vintage Vibrolux Reverb when a Peavey Bandit would do?!?!
    No
    do I look like I know what I'm doing?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I played my '66 Vibrolux Reverb then a recent Custom Vibrolux Reverb at a blues jam last night.
    My amp had more of that old blackface sparkle and shimmer...
    You own the best combo amp for guitar, ever made. IMO.

I went through three CVRs before luckily getting my $$$ back.

I finally found and bought a VVRI and thus far it has been the best Fender amp I've ever gigged with (and that includes my old Vibro King).

Forum Member

There's something about that CVR that doesn't sound right to me...an annoying midrange, breaks up in a funny way. Used them in backline a couple times and played next to a guy for 3-4 years who swore by them...I'll take a stock Vibrolux anyday, thanks.

Annoying midrange is probably how I'd describe it. Playing clean, it was overly punchy- like I had to hold back.

I think that's the same thing that made the '69 Pedal sound so good with it, though!

Forum Member

Does anyone have any info on how to bias a '90 CVR? I can't find anything online anywhere.

Here's a service manual from 1995.

http://schems.com/bmampscom/fender/c...lux_manual.pdf