Thread: Tele neck choices

Tele neck choices

I am in the process of getting a Tele made. Unfortunately, the builder is a long way from me and it is hard to express exactly some of the details, including the neck. So, I want to run some of my thoughts by you guys to get some feedback.

I must have a very average hand because I almost never notice the neck on an electric guitar unless it is really thin or really thick. Most of them work for me. But here is my dilemma. I have to specify pretty much exactly what I want when getting a guitar made. I would be happier if there were, say, three choices. Pick one. But custom necks are made to exact specs.

I recently played a Thin Skin Tele with a 60's C profile. It was pretty comfortable but on the thin side. I liked it but I think my hand might get tired playing a thin neck. From 1st to 12th fret, it was 0.845" to 0.900"

My Eric Johnson neck is pretty comfortable although reasonably thick. It is a soft V and is 0.875 to 0.970, 1st to 12th. It is hard to tell if it is a real country picker because I have 11's on it and would have to get it set up again for 10's.

I also play a 1952 Les Paul which is a very soft V to a C, 0.913 to 0.976, so I can handle a thicker neck, although I am not sure the LP would be conducive to frantic hybrid picking (it is in the shop being refretted so I can't check that out right now).

I have been thinking of getting something along the lines of the EJ for the Tele, possibly a little thinner, maybe even thicker. The 1957 Tele had a V neck which ran from about 0.883 to 1.000, but I don't know if it is a sharp or soft V. Anyone here ever play one?

Any thoughts on this? Have any of you ever had to specify neck size in such detail?
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

Re: Tele neck choices

You can always have a thick neck shaved down later...

Don, that's a very good point. Can't add wood, but can take it off!

Hey Doc, what did you come up with?

I am embarrassed to say, but here goes.

I looked high and low for the specs on a 1956/57 Tele neck because from what I read, I figured I would like it. I also read that the 1957 Strat had a similar neck. I finally got to talk with the owner of a 1957 Tele and he said it felt a lot like his Eric Johnson neck. It dawned on me in an instant that Eric Johnson's guitar, the one he modded, is a 1957 soft V neck. I have that neck on my Partscaster, so after searching high and low, I already had what I was looking for. DOH!

So, it will be a one piece maple neck going from 0.88 inches at the first fret to 0.96" at the 12th fret. The profile runs from a soft V to C and will be based on models taken off my EJ neck. It will also have a 12 inch radius, like the EJ neck.

Like the Tao says, the truth is near and we all look so far away.

He he that's funny I have done that manny time's myself. Only with a strat I kept thinking I could find a better playing\sounding guitar like a blind dog chasing his tail when I had it all a long ..

I'm glad you found what you like in a Tele neck and do hope your build is what you expect in the end A tele can be a wonderful thing when it all come's together....

Thanks Melody! The builder is Marc Rutters who is getting a very good reputation. I discovered him in the TDPRI forum which is currently holding a fundraiser. One of the prizes is a Rutters guitar. Here is a vid of Redd Volkaert playing a Rutters. Check this out.

Sweet!

Wow! That's 4th prize!!!

No matter where you go, there you are!