Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Slide Clinic

Damn, I've actually had that Beacon Theater DVD in my hands, only to not buy it.

My interest is piqued now!

and Oteil? is there any better?
    Only Victor :nelson

Had to buy it just now!!

Can't wait! I alomst quitplaying slide after hearing Derek!
    Fuzz is proof God love us and wants us to be happy. - Franklin
    http://www.frankdenigris.com

Frank, you suck :fu2

Forum Member
    Hi all.
    I haven't been able to play guitar for about 3 months, due to swelling and joint pain in my fingers. My docs are having trouble diagnosing it and it's driving me crazy not being able to play.
    So I am gonna start learning slide. I plan on checking out the video that has been mentioned and start from there.

Has anyone tried the jetslide? Is it good/bad?
    I play a Strat, can anyone suggest a traditional type slide to start with?
    What's the tonal characteristics of the different types of slides available. ie; brass, stainless steel, glass, etc.

Thanks
    RvF

compressors?

i've often heard compression is a key to good slide tone. anyone use one, and if so, what are the pros and cons?

for that matter, what about other effects?

oh yeah, i'm a standard tuning guy for the most part (dick around w/ open G and open E on occassion (need a few more guitars to really work on it)), and i use brass and glass (both heavy dunlops) depending on the tone i'm after:glass for duane type stuff, brass for a rawer, punk/blues tone, ala jack white.

Forum Member
    Compression is important to slide tone because, when playing slide, the note decays so fast, faster than a fretted note. It may actually sustain longer, but it will decay faster. Compression compensates for that quick decay.

Compression is available from a variety of sources. It doesn't just come from a compressor stomp box. Many OD/distortion devices have a generous amount of compression, just by their very designs. Some small tube amps provide a significant amount of compression, all on their own.

When I'm playing slide through one of my larger amps, I find I need to add compression. Sometimes it is with an OD pedal (a Fulldrive 2 is ideal for this), and sometimes it is clean (I like the Barber Tone Press). When I'm playing slide through a Victoria tweed Deluxe, I don't add anything, because that amp compresses things, just fine.

BUMP...

c'mon guys! i been lookin' for an excuse to work on my slide technique. give me something to mess w/.

p.s. anybody really pursue dobro-to my mind it's a completely different instrument than electric slide guitar, more akin to lap steel. i used to have a fr-50, but it never really felt like a "dobro" (yes, i know dobro is a brand name, but it's less letters to type than "resonator").

Here's my National Style O.

hey, this is a cool thread!!

I started reading it & then realized how long it was...I'll have to go back through it again & read it all.

---->I just repaired an old acoustic with a broken neck; installed one of those metal faux-nuts that sits over the stock nut & raise the strings WAY up....it's held in place by the string tension and will pop back off if you want to play "normal"

pretty neat idea, I thought.

anyway, I have this thing permanently setup for slide, and have been bashing around on it trying to figger out slide playing

using thumb/fingerpicks, an old brass slide, and some open tuning...not sure what it is, but it's a chord when I strum all 6 strings!!

Question: is there much difference between dobro players & lapsteel players technique?

I started out trying to play lapsteel style, but with the round slide find it's easier holding the gtr normally.....but I love all that dobro playing.
    "evil men make you kill me,
    evil men make me kill you;
    even though we’re only families apart..."

Forum Member
    Originally posted by Bolero
    Question: is there much difference between dobro players & lapsteel players technique?

I started out trying to play lapsteel style, but with the round slide find it's easier holding the gtr normally.....but I love all that dobro playing.
    The techniques are similar, but a dobro won't have the sustain of a good solid body lap steel. I thnk the best players don't use picks, just flesh on steel.
    Last edited by pbradt; 03-03-2004 at 11:18 PM.

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman
    Bonefish, you are right on regarding slide types for different sounds. (Glass for 'Duane' sound, Brass for "Jack White" tone).

I 'discovered' the MXR 'Dyna Comp' a couple years ago. I read a reprint of an old Lowell George interview where he called the Dyna Comp his secret weapon...or something like that.
    I think it's essential if you want to get into Sonny Landreth or Rick Vito territory to have some good compression (and a bit of delay).

A reso guitar with an open tuning is a lot of fun..the real deal as far as delta blues vibe goes.
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

Originally posted by cooltone
    I 'discovered' the MXR 'Dyna Comp' a couple years ago. I read a reprint of an old Lowell George interview where he called the Dyna Comp his secret weapon...or something like that.
    I think it's essential if you want to get into Sonny Landreth or Rick Vito territory to have some good compression (and a bit of delay).
    I had a MXR Dyna Comp, it was the best! . I actually only used compression for slide. I have not found a compression unit since that I like, so, I won't use one for a while. I use too many pedals now....
    Last edited by thebluesbarn; 03-04-2004 at 07:22 AM.

Forum Member
    Originally posted by thebluesbarn
    I had a MXR Dyna Comp, it was the best! . I actually only used compression for slide. I have not found a compression unit since that I like, so, I won't use one for a while. I use too many pedals now....
    It's odd, I havea Dyna-Comp but I've never been able to get good slide tone out of it. I get great slide tone out of my Fulltone Fat Boost and a FD2.

Great exercise for learning how to play slide:

spend some time playing scales and intervals on only one string!

Like, if you want to play in the key of E, just play along the high E string up to the twelfth fret. If you want to play in G, start at the 3rd fret, and go up to the 15th, etc.

It'll really help smooth out your glissandos, and help you nail the intonation.

Re: Slide Clinic

Quote Originally Posted by thebluesbarn
    I'm here. I was in on the first Slide Clinic, not too much on the second one and now I'm here for the 3rd.

I play a lot of standard tuning slide and switch back and forth quite a bit, in fact I have set up all of my guitars to be exactly "Too high for regular playing, too low for slide".

I'm at work now, but I'll find (or out together) a good layout for looking at slide guitar in standard tuning!

I'm really interested in learning slide in standard tuning. I know it can be done-just how to set the guitar up to get the best of both worlds is my question...at the moment I'm simply a

Re: "From another planet"

Quote Originally Posted by cooltone
    I keep telling myself to have a dedicated guitar for slide, but I can't seem to decide which one!! I'll use that as an excuse to buy a new one!!
    Which is exactly the problem I have...I keep saying, "OK....the red strat for standard, white strat for slide...wait...the white one really has the better neck of the two...but the red one resonates a little better...oh CRAP!!!"....I can't do it

Maybe buy a Squire Tele for slide????

still in splints. laying it in my lap ala-Healy. using a paperweight with domeness. kinda rock it around. totally different than holding it in your arms.

still suck, havin' lotsa fun, though.

perhaps i should explore "wind instruments".
    Shine your light.

Forum Member

Annie, did you ever get the Parnell vid?

I play slide and standard fingering on all of my guitars. They are all set up "too low for slide, too high for fingering"..

As far as playing in standard tuning, I can't find anything on it in my records -and have not gotten around to doind a new one... I'm lazy you know!

Forum Member

I can't play in standard tuning any more. I hate it. Too many things I do that I can't do in standard tuning. I also can't stand not using a dedicated guitar. I really like my Strat for slide and it's totally set up for it.

But if your system works for it, more powah to yaz.

Annie, did you ever get the Parnell vid?
    hell no..............it's beaucoup bucks and i can't find the notes in reg'lar.

sumday i will, amigo, 'cause i get so confounded and lost on the frets:

where IS THAT NOTE I HEAR?!? (not like keys where they're always in the same spot, even in the dark) :wah
    Shine your light.

Forum Member

Without the vibrato,"touch" Slides gonna suck.

Here's the big tip. Ringo's "Back off Boogaloo". Some guy name George Harrison plays slide on it. He plays in Unison, to the words back off boogaloo. Keep up with that and you will have great vibrato.
    My first open tuning stuff I did on guitar was If not for you in an open tuning,hting all strings ,playing it like a chord. That was some30+ years ago.

Great thread bump!

Forum Member

Slide is a great form of guitar playing, I've been a little dismayed at the lack of interest in it, in this forum.

Heavy glass and open G, baby!

I've got the frist riff down and sounding pretty good. how bout some more when you get time??thanks for your time!

Quote Originally Posted by teleman1
    Without the vibrato,"touch" Slides gonna suck.
    Tell that to Derek Trucks fans!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by melody
    I've got the frist riff down and sounding pretty good. how bout some more when you get time??thanks for your time!
    If you're just learning, I suggest the video "The Art of Slide Guitar" with Lee Roy Parnell. Great started vid and you get to see a bunch of my buds playing.

Which riff did you learn?

Re: For standard tuning.........

This one and i must say its cool as hell. i used it last night jamming with some buds just doing a e boogie thing mixing it up and i even amazed myself. everone was askin if i've been fooling around with the slide all i could say is a littel bit.

Here is a riff from that pattern:

s s
    E|------------------------------------
    B|----------8/9----------------------
    G|---------------9-------7-/-9~~--
    D|--------------------9--------------
    A|------------------------------------

cont:
    s s
    B|------------------------------------
    G|----------9/7-------7-/-9~~----
    D|-----------------9-----------------

So from here you can at least play some barre chords with the slide. Form your own boxes or positions around these chord tones. Most important, listen. Use notes from the major scale, more chord tones, etc.

What stinks about standard tuning is it's limitations to chord forms. You can apply almost everything that you know about guitar already to playing slide. The trick is when to slide, and when/if to add vibrato, it's essentially still all about phrasing and dynamics.[/QUOTE]

Forum Member

OK I didn't realize you were using standard tuning. I won't be much help there because I suck at standard tuning slide.

Quote Originally Posted by pbradt
    OK I didn't realize you were using standard tuning. I won't be much help there because I suck at standard tuning slide.
    Hey im game for G or D tunings as well.

You can also play a minor 7 chord, E minor:

E|--------------12~~--------------------
    B|--------------12~~----------------------
    G|--------------12~~--------------------
    D|--------------12~~---------------------

It can also be used with the barre chord shape you already posted above:

E|---------------------------------------------------7 / 12~~~
    B|-----------------9~~~~-8\7-----------8-\-7----------------
    G|---------------9~~~------------7 / 9------------------------
    D|----------7 / 9~----------------------------------------------
    A|---------------------------------------------------------------
    E|---------------------------------------------------------------

*bump*

oh pardon me, i wuz just lurking...struggling with the switch from open D to G. habits are horrible.
    Shine your light.

i need to learn to slide in "regular" 'stead of high octane.
    Shine your light.

Annie, to go from open D (or E, same thing) to Open G (or A) all you have to do is move your pattern(s) over one string. You knew that though, right?

Quote Originally Posted by thebluesbarn
    You can also play a minor 7 chord, E minor:

E|--------------12~~--------------------
    B|--------------12~~----------------------
    G|--------------12~~--------------------
    D|--------------12~~---------------------

It can also be used with the barre chord shape you already posted above:

E|---------------------------------------------------7 / 12~~~
    B|-----------------9~~~~-8\7-----------8-\-7----------------
    G|---------------9~~~------------7 / 9------------------------
    D|----------7 / 9~----------------------------------------------
    A|---------------------------------------------------------------
    E|---------------------------------------------------------------
    cool thanks for your time!

Forum Member

Where would Rev. Billy G. fall in this thread? I just heard Tush on the radio while reading this thread...wierd. Open tuning? Pearly Gates or different guitar? Anyone know?

I'd have to give it a listen Thunder.

Saw Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes get into a slide duel last Sunday. I can tell you that Warren Hayne's chops are as good as one can hope for, but Derek Trucks blew him away.

Derek mixed his own style with eastern sounding micro tones. Simply amazing. He also whipped out a 5 note (also asian?, it sounded like he took our 12 note and divided it up into 5 notes, unlike our 5 note pentatonic scales this was not based on "our" notes) type scale for a couple of measures.

During the rest of the concert, he played "out" a few times. He was playing like T-Monk one minute, Charlie Parker the next. Only a couple of times did he play like Duane, he seemed to leave the old ABB slide stuff to Warren.

This guy is on another planet for sure. I can tell you that his slide playing has influenced mine so much that people have been coming up to me paying some nice compliments about my unique style. I love telling people that my newest slide influence is Derek Trucks....

Thanks Derek!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder
    Where would Rev. Billy G. fall in this thread? I just heard Tush on the radio while reading this thread...wierd. Open tuning? Pearly Gates or different guitar? Anyone know?
    When it comes to slide, The Rev is only average. He doesn't have much finesse. YMMV

If you play slide, even non-blues slide, listen to Earl Hooker. Brilliant player with amazing phrasing and sense of melody, and a seriously impressive vibrato. He played in standard tuning exclusively, by the way.

He got his style from an older player named Robert Nighthawk (also a great slide player but in an older more archaic 40's/early 50's style, open E tuning) who in turn learned from 20s and 30s slide virtuoso Tampa Red (also an open E tuning guy).

The common thread between all of them is their ability to play extended and vocal-sounding phrases on the higher strings, as opposed to the more rhythmic/chordal style associated with the mississippi delta guys like Charley Patton and Son House which was carried on by electric players like Muddy Waters and Johnny Shines.

Anyway, sorry bout the rambling - do yourself a favor and check out Earl Hooker - his late 60s records are ok, but his best stuff is his early-to-mid 60s instrumentals.

http://www.island.net/~blues/earlhkr.htm
    http://afgen.com/earl_hooker.html
    Last edited by echoplex; 09-06-2004 at 06:31 AM.

I lurk, therefore I am.

Hope Mr. Tonemaster didn't skeeeeeeeedaddle outta here 'cause of me. I'll just go shoot myself if'n he did.
    Shine your light.