Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Fender EC Amps

Re: New Fender EC Amps

Just in case anyone is still interested in this thread, I finally got a chanced to sit with both the Twinolux and Tremolux. The Tremolux is a lot like the Deluxe, but beefier with more balls in the bottom end. It had a fair amount of clean headroom (not tons, but more than I thought it might) and the breakup was very very sweet. Just a classic tweed sound. It was 2K in Canadian dollars. I would definitely consider buying one given my current venues (church and home, lol, and the rare club gig).

The Twinolux is a really really nice amp. Very versatile, with lots of tonal possibilities. I played with it for quite a while and loved it with the volume at almost max, and the guitar backed off a little. It was very clean (tweedy clean, not blackface clean), and just ROARED when I rolled up on the volume and leaned into it with my pick. It is very touch sensitive and those of you who learned to play blues before pedals became the norm will really like this amp. Like I said, I loved it, but it is too loud for my current purposes and expensive at 3k Canadian (but not overpriced, in my opinion).

I suppose if you knew what you were doing, you could make an amp like this, but since I don't, I found them priced right in the boutique ballpark. Not expensive for a handwired amp.
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

Clapton used trem on "Brokenhearted" on the
    Pilgrim album and on some of the atmospheric stuff on the Rush soundtrack.

I also saw him perform one of his usual acoustic solo blues songs - I've forgotten which one now - on a strat through a tweed amp with trem in Omaha a few years ago. Apparently it was the only time on the tour he didn't use an acoustic for that song. Can't imagine why, because it was spine chilling at the time.
    Sure, I've got a little ADD, but then I

Clapton uses tweeds, sure, but I believe they were vintage tweeds on the Pilgrim album and the Rush soundtrack. These amps are brand new.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

The Twinolux may be brand new but it sounds and responds like a vintage tweed. Who would take a real '57 Twin to a gig? This is an affordable substitute (affordable being relative, of course!).

Doc, I don't disagree that, I was responding to Jeff's post. I'd be willing to bet that most of us (who don't have a professional guitar/amp tech looking over our gear) would probably get better performance out of a new handwired amp instead of an old one....

Quote Originally Posted by Doc W View Post
    The Twinolux may be brand new but it sounds and responds like a vintage tweed. Who would take a real '57 Twin to a gig? This is an affordable substitute (affordable being relative, of course!).
    FWIW Keith Richards takes like 3 vintage tweed twins on tour....not sure how much of the innards are still vintage but he boasts about this all the time...

Of course he is a rockstar on a rockstar budget...
    "Sorry" - John Belushi as he smashed a guitar in Animal House

Erock, that's just it. Those guys' guitar techs are able to keep everything running 5x5 on an ongoing basis.

Vintage gear becomes a much more realistic proposition when you're on that level.

I'd be willing to bet that he has a pair of vintage High-Powered Tweed Twins on the main stage and one on the satellite stage...but additionally when I bought four flicks I noticed that there were at least 3 HPTT's on the satellite stage.

Then there must be the backups... I make that at LEAST10 on any given tour - and then because the Stones have a complete 2nd rig for Europe and the rest of the world, I make that 10 more.

I know that the Rev. Billy G. has a warehouse for all of his guitars and amps - I'll bet that Messrs. Richards and Wood have them too.

A bit OTT but in Woody's book he mentions this - he regularly plays up to 17 instruments in a show, with a backup for each, and a 2nd complete "mirrored" set on standby. I make that 68 instruments for Woody (of course, this includes the oddfellow instruments like the Weissenborns and stuff).

Quote Originally Posted by Erock_Germany View Post
    FWIW Keith Richards takes like 3 vintage tweed twins on tour....not sure how much of the innards are still vintage but he boasts about this all the time...

Of course he is a rockstar on a rockstar budget...
    The only vintage stuff that would go on tour with me would be me! And I am probably not worth as much as a vintage tweed Twin, especially if condition is important.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc W View Post
    The only vintage stuff that would go on tour with me would be me! And I am probably not worth as much as a vintage tweed Twin, especially if condition is important.
    Amen Brother, man it hurts to gig four hours.

I mean if certain people think late 80s and early 90s stuff is vintage I played my '68 and '70 Strats out until the late 90s so I guess I have gigged vintage stuff and would do it again.

If I had a Twin like that or if I still had my 66 Tremolux I would use it if the gig is not too rough.

Good vintage stuff does stand up if it is serviced. It is designed to be used.

I mean guys buy boutique amps for thousands and gig 'em (like the ECs). IMHO no big difference there, or?
    "Sorry" - John Belushi as he smashed a guitar in Animal House

I'd have no issue bringing out my '63 Princeton.

That is, if I thought it sounded better than anything else I owned. It's OK, but nothing exciting.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

I just purchased a Fuchs Blackjack 21 Mk II. I know it's modern boutique but it gives me the sounds of the vintage amps.

Quote Originally Posted by thegeezer View Post
    I just purchased a Fuchs Blackjack 21 Mk II. I know it's modern boutique but it gives me the sounds of the vintage amps.
    Hey Jerry - go FUCHS yourself!

well...SOMEone had to say it. I couldn't resist.

Forum Member

You are forgetting about the tastes of the guys at Fender World Headquarters; the Mikes and Shanes make batches of stuff they think is cool...black tolex on a tweed style amp cabinet; hmm, sounds familiar.

Oh yeah---I take a '56 Twin to gigs. What else was I supposed to do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Erock_Germany View Post
    I mean if certain people think late 80s and early 90s stuff is vintage I played my '68 and '70 Strats out until the late 90s so I guess I have gigged vintage stuff and would do it again.

If I had a Twin like that or if I still had my 66 Tremolux I would use it if the gig is not too rough.

Good vintage stuff does stand up if it is serviced. It is designed to be used.

I mean guys buy boutique amps for thousands and gig 'em (like the ECs). IMHO no big difference there, or?
    Mulling this over, I think you are probably right. Except for one amp (my 1962 Concert and matching reverb), none of my old amps are in "collectible" condition so I would have no trouble bringing them to a gig. I suppose if I had a beat-up 1957 Twin, I would feel the same way. As you say, vintage gear is very dependable if it is serviced properly. Sometimes it is more dependable than new gear.

Guitars are another story and a lot would depend on the nature of the gig. It is a real drag to have to sit near your gear and keep an eye on it, just in case someone decides to walk off with it. Not that I have an original 1959 Les Paul or anything silly like that, but I do have an early 60s ES-345 that I would no longer take to the average gig unless it was a one-set show and I didn't have to leave it lying around. I am sure there are others who feel the same about older guitars.