Thread: Tele choices

Forum Member

Tele choices

If you need "vintage tele vibe" for say $650 or less, what would you get? MIM Standard? Classic Vibe custom? Some variant of the american made lines?

Thinking about a Classic Vibe Custom with a pickup upgrade to something vintage from Duncan like antiquities or maybe the broadcaster model. I am wondering if for that kind of scratch something used from the American series would make more sense?

Gravity Jim

Re: Tele choices

FOr that price, a used Baja would get my vote... that's about the only Tele I've played off the rack that I really liked a lot. I know a lot of you guys have them, and no offense, but I was really underwhelmed with the CV Squiers I've played.

I find that comment highly offensive. Because I like CV Squier Teles and therefore so should everyone! :)

I like the Baja, and the American Specials, and even the MIM's but the CV's are tremendous bang for the buck - if you can find one you like - but they're not for everyone.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

roadworn 50's tele...for the $$$ pretty hard to beat for a new guitar.

others will disagree.....to each his own...or as someone recently told me here on this forum: YMMV

my copper burst is perfect.
    great color, three saddle bridge, sagehetti logo, and the lowest action i've seen on a under $2000.00 guitar

all made in Mexico!

CV or the Roadworn, for sure
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenjangle View Post
    I find that comment highly offensive. Because I like CV Squier Teles and therefore so should everyone! :)
    LOL - I thought we thoroughly beat that one to death! Although with the new CS NOS threads, it's bound to come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc W View Post
    CV or the Roadworn, for sure
    don't bother with the Roadworn...it's "broken". Sorry, couldn't help myself. I will shut up now...

(IMO, the Roadworn is a fine choice).

I wouldn't buy a roadworn just because of the way it looks - but I'd buy one if I found one that 'resonates' with me...

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    don't bother with the Roadworn...it's "broken". Sorry, couldn't help myself. I will shut up now...

He set a price ceiling on this, not a cosmetic requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post

Here is the rule:

Roadworn is only broken if part of the pickguard is missing when new.

Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    Here is the rule:

Roadworn is only broken if part of the pickguard is missing when new.
    got it!

MIJ - change the Electrics and you'll have one hell of a Tele - IMHO of course

Gravity Jim

Geez, how could it be so forgetful? Billy's absolutely correct... A mid-1980s MIJ 50s Tele was the very best one I ever played, and they can be had for 6 bills or less.

Quote Originally Posted by silent j. View Post
    Geez, how could it be so forgetful? Billy's absolutely correct... A mid-1980s MIJ 50s Tele was the very best one I ever played, and they can be had for 6 bills or less.
    You find me a DBL Bound MIJ Tele for 6 bills or less I will buy on the spot...The guitars are highly regarded and the prices reflect it.

Gravity Jim

I was referencing the 50s version. No binding. Recently completed eBay auctions show them still actually selling for 500 to 600 bucks... I coulda had the one I saw for $350 about 10 years ago and took a pass. Kinda wish I hadn't.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    You find me a DBL Bound MIJ Tele for 6 bills or less I will buy on the spot...The guitars are highly regarded and the prices reflect it.

I used to have one about ten years ago and liked it at the time. My new bass player has one that I played recently, and I was shocked at how small the neck felt.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

I love a small profile neck I have short bear cub paws so it works good for me make's it much easer wrap my thumb around the top...

Quote Originally Posted by silent j. View Post
    I was referencing the 50s version. No binding. Recently completed eBay auctions show them still actually selling for 500 to 600 bucks... I coulda had the one I saw for $350 about 10 years ago and took a pass. Kinda wish I hadn't.

Oh I got cha..Helps if I would have read the whole sentence...

TFF Stage Crew

American Series/Standard Teles are always showing up at Music Go Round and other stores for around $600-$650. Now true, you'd have to spend more if there was a particular vintagey bridge or pickups you wanted in it. But there is definitely a quality difference between MiM and US Teles, and this is coming from a guy who loves his Baja Tele. (And yes, the necks are bigger on US Teles which I like but others may not).

Quote Originally Posted by pc View Post
    American Series/Standard Teles are always showing up at Music Go Round and other stores for around $600-$650. Now true, you'd have to spend more if there was a particular vintagey bridge or pickups you wanted in it. But there is definitely a quality difference between MiM and US Teles, and this is coming from a guy who loves his Baja Tele. (And yes, the necks are bigger on US Teles which I like but others may not).
    A few months ago, I might have agreed about the difference, but after looking for a Tele for some time now, I think that the Standard Teles are pretty boring. I guess they are put together well, but they sure don't have what I consider to be a real Tele sound. It might be that Fender is going for a more mainstream rock sound on the modern Tele, but if I had to pick between the Standard and a Roadworn, it would be the RW for sure. The RW plays really nice and sounds like a Telecaster. It snaps back and has twang.

I have been bitching about this for months (sorry to bore most of you even more), but in my humble opinion, the only Fender Teles that are both American made, and sound and play like Teles, are the CS Teles, and the good ones start at $3500. I have decided to pass on Fender altogether and I am getting a Tele custom made for a hell of a lot less.

Once again, it might be just me, or it might be that Fender is going for a more mainstream rock sound, but I suggest that everyone play a Standard Tele and then a CS Tele (a real light one). The difference in sound and playability is remarkable. If you have to buy a Fender and you dont' need MIA, get a RW.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pc View Post
    I have had 2 MIM teles and never got them to feel right. I think the tiny fret wire was the main issue. I used to really love the American teles back in the 90's I was a big fan of the 6 saddle design over the vintage style bridge. Sounds like something used from the American series might be a better option o look at.

The other option maybe a Highway one tele. My Highway One strat is just money. I sold off my American series strats once I finished the setup/shielding and upgrading the pickups to SD antiquities. It was clearly the best instrument of the 3.

TFF Stage Crew

Same here. I've had the Baja and two MiM standard Teles in the last two years and no amount of work could get the MiMs where I liked them. The Baja is fantastic, but as soon as I got a newer American a little while ago I noticed some important differences, mostly in the reliability and durability of the nut and saddles, and of course better electronics although that's never as much an issue for me personally as it is for others.

With that budget I'd head over to USA Custom Guitars and roll my own.

You'd still have plenty left for decent hardware and a nice set of pickups.
    "Go Team Venture!"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BradKM View Post
    With that budget I'd head over to USA Custom Guitars and roll my own.

You'd still have plenty left for decent hardware and a nice set of pickups.
    I have done my share of building. Great guitars but been there and done that. I just don't have time to do it right between work and family