Thread: Tele 12 -string help

NoNeck60

Tele 12 -string help

I need some help/advice building a Tele 12 string. I have a stock Fender AVRI 52 Tele body. I'm going to order a 12-string neck from USA Custom Guitars. I've dealt with them already and feel they make a superior neck..(unless anyone feels that Warmouth is equal quality/cheaper/better???)
    Here's my question. Should I stay with a 7.25" radius (as this will be mostly an "open chord" guitar) or go with a 9.5"?
    I need a bridge. Ideally, I'd like to use a vintage style back load bridge. Does anyone make a combo strings-through/top load bridge? Could I drill out the 6 top-load string holes?

Any other help/suggestions/parts for sale ( I need all HW and parts..I only have the body right now) this project, would be appreciated.
    Dave

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Tele 12 -string help

I have a Strat 12-string so I'll try to give you my thoughts from that perspective......

Likely you won't be bending notes or doing any shredding -- thus, the 7.25" radius neck with vintage frets will afford easier chording and fretting.

The Gotoh 12-string bridge that Fender currently uses on these instruments loads the six primary strings from the rear via recessed ferrules (ala a standard Tele or hardtail Strat), with the octave strings top-loaded through the lip of the bridge plate. This bridge has 2-7/32" spacing and uses five screws to anchor it to the body. Each string has its own saddle and intonation adjustment. Allparts used to stock this bridge -- they may still, I haven't check their site in a while. They also listed the Fender-style string retainer that mounts behind the nut. I suppose you could also modify a vintage-style top load Tele bridge but it will require some precision machining.

I don't know if any of this helps but good luck -- we'll need to see pics of the finished instrument of course.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

NoNeck60

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    I have a Strat 12-string so I'll try to give you my thoughts from that perspective......

Likely you won't be bending notes or doing any shredding -- thus, the 7.25" radius neck with vintage frets will afford easier chording and fretting.

The Gotoh 12-string bridge that Fender currently uses on these instruments loads the six primary strings from the rear via recessed ferrules (ala a standard Tele or hardtail Strat), with the octave strings top-loaded through the lip of the bridge plate. This bridge has 2-7/32" spacing and uses five screws to anchor it to the body. Each string has its own saddle and intonation adjustment. Allparts used to stock this bridge -- they may still, I haven't check their site in a while. They also listed the Fender-style string retainer that mounts behind the nut. I suppose you could also modify a vintage-style top load Tele bridge but it will require some precision machining.

I don't know if any of this helps but good luck -- we'll need to see pics of the finished instrument of course.
    Hey Phantom...definately helpful. I agree with the 7.25" and will stick with a 21-fret neck.
    My question regarding the Strat bridge is, how do I cover the bridge p'up hole, that would normally be covered by the Tele bridge(plate)?
    Also, if I go with the traditional/vintage Tele bridge, should I buy a top-loader and drill the through-body holes or buy the through-body bridge and drill the top-loader holes?

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

No easy answers there, I'm afraid. It might be possible to adapt an AmStd Tele bridge plate to mate with the Gotoh but it'd involve precision measurements, cutting, welding, re-plating, etc. Hardtail Strat-style bridges mounted on a Tele are generally used with the Seth Lover Fender humbucker which is located independently and further towards the neck. You might check USACG, Warmoth, Callahan, etc, to see if they offer any solutions.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

NoNeck60

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    No easy answers there, I'm afraid. It might be possible to adapt an AmStd Tele bridge plate to mate with the Gotoh but it'd involve precision measurements, cutting, welding, re-plating, etc. Hardtail Strat-style bridges mounted on a Tele are generally used with the Seth Lover Fender humbucker which is located independently and further towards the neck. You might check USACG, Warmoth, Callahan, etc, to see if they offer any solutions.
    I'm going with a Wilkinson vintage style, 3 saddle Tele bridge. They have string holes drilled already to adapt to either a top load or a through-body design. The only thing I'm changing is the solid brass saddles to the 60's style threaded saddle, whereby I can have separate notches in the saddle for the regular and octave string.
    I will keep you posted as I start to piece this together....and yeah, and when my neck comes in from USA CG.
    Oh and by the way, staying with the vintage 6230 frets and 7.25" radius. The only thing different from the 60's spec is I'm going with the "Fat Neck" neck.