Thread: Just a quickie

Just a quickie

i shall keep this short and sweet, and prety much to the point. Got myself a new Marin D-15M, since then my strat has been firmly placed in its stand. While i'm in my honeymoon phase with my new toy i've promised myself to learn a load of new songs. First simple question...i'm playing "signed, sealed, delivered" in the key of E. Need some assistance with differene chord variations rather than the traditional E, C#m, E, C#m, G, A. I would also like to squeeze in a chord on the "oooooh baby" that leads up to the G, any suggestions or ideas?
    Second question, this is kind of a generic question for any type of song with this progression. Your playing a song, then somewhere in the middle it will have a chord (lets say G) then goes to a G#, then goes to an Am. Now when i play the G its fine, and the G# in the bass is fine leading to the Am, but i dont want to just play the bass, i need a chord in there and neither a G# chord or G#m chord work or sound right...What do i need in there?
    If all of this is a little criptic...i shall get some example for you
    Thanks in advance
    P.S - if anyone can chime in with some absolute staple songs any guitar player should have in his acoustic repertoire...let me know so i can add to my very limited repertoire (i like pretty much all music)
    "I'm not mad, i just like to keep myself company"

Re: Just a quickie

1st example of the G, G#, Am at 57 seconds
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQsU0...eature=related
    2nd example of the same thing at 1m 4 seconds - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sfe-gnjny4

It is hard to tell you what to do...it is key-dependent.

However, here are two moves that will get you from G to Am chromatically.

The first is to play the G chord at the 3rd fret - then to an open E chord with the G# in the bass - and then to the Am.

This plays on the G# as the major 3rd of the E chord and really feels like it's leading to the Am.

The other is what I use in the song Hallelujah. It's probably not exactly what anyone else plays, but it works for me...

"Well it (C) goes like this, the fourth(F), the fifth(G), the minor fall(Am), the major lift(D/F#), the (G)broken king com(E/G#)posing Halle(Am)lujah."

This E/G# is spelt like a D/F# with no open strings, at the 4th fret...so the E shaped like a D on the high strings and the thumb gets the G#... I've also tried to fit a diminished chord in there but this is just easier and since it's a passing tone I find I can get away with it...

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenjangle View Post
    The first is to play the G chord at the 3rd fret - then to an open E chord with the G# in the bass - and then to the Am.

This plays on the G# as the major 3rd of the E chord and really feels like it's leading to the Am.
    My first thought as well, though it would really depend on the rest of the piece.

Certainly another chord to explore is a C#m with the G# in the bass. Add extensions to suit.

If you really want to get wild, go for an A#dom7 with the seventh in the bass.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
    If you really want to get wild, go for an A#dom7 with the seventh in the bass.
    That's just too wild for me. I like to keep things a bit more...civilized. :)

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

awesome stuff...i am stuck at work at the minute, so i shall have a jangle when i get home...dont suppoe in the mean time...you could post back what those chords look like in tab form?

Fanks :)

I can't tab on here - in fact I usually handwrite everything out for my students.

Most of my chord grips in the ones I describe are built off of bog-simple open chords. I'm more of a strummer than a jazzer.

Here are some spellings, low E string - to - high e string:
    First example:
    G - 320003
    E/G# - 422100
    Am - x02210

Second example (L. Cohen's Hallelujah)
    C - x32010
    F - xx3211
    G - 320003
    D/F# - 2(T) xx232
    Am - x02210
    E/G# - 4(T) xx454