Thread: Fryette S.A.S.distortion pedal

Fryette S.A.S.distortion pedal

Has anyone here tried the Fryette S.A.S.distortion pedal yet? I bought one this afternoon and ran it through my Deluxe Reverb R1. So far, I'm pretty impressed. It's the best O.D. pedal I've tried so far. I like the idea of a tube in an O.D./distortion pedal to achieve the effect. For my tastes and purposes, this thing is a "keeper"!
    ~Yardbird~

"03" Les Paul Standard (Ebony finish)
    "04" Les Paul 1959 Reissue (DarkBurst)
    "04" FENDER Standard Stratocaster (Sage Green) Rosewood fretboard - 2004 model

2011 FENDER Deluxe Reverb RI
    2012 MESA/Boogie Express 5:50
    2013 MESA/Boogie Express 5:50 plus head with 2 23" 1 X 12 MESA LoneStar cabs

Re: Fryette S.A.S.distortion pedal

So digging this thread out from the grave...
    I was at my local GC yesterday and saw this pedal on clearance - $50!!! Checked out the display one and really liked how it sounded, even though they couldn't find the right power adapter (par for the course, n'est ce pas?)
    Asked and they had one fresh and untouched in the box. Of course it followed be home.
    So, working with it, and it seems to be very loud, can't get the volume above 9 on it without blowing the rest of my rig away.
    In googling it, there are some references to a mod to make the volume more manageable. Anyone know about this?
    Any hints?
    I am still playing with it to figure exactly where it'll go in my setup, but I'm really liking the variety of sounds this thing puts out.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Re: Fryette S.A.S.distortion pedal

I'll bet the mod is either putting a resistor between lugs 1 & 3 of the vol pot, or changing that pot to a lower value. I do this type of thing quite often with pedals. On Wooly Mammoth clones I put in a smaller value vol pot so you can actually use it, and on my modded SD-1's I use a 250-500k pot on the drive to make them less gainy and have more "in between" tones of crunch.

If you are handy with a soldering iron, the easiest way to mod your pedal would be to open it up and slap a resistor between lugs 1 & 3 on the vol pot. Find out the value of that pot and use the same value (or close to it) resistor. It will in effect (see what I did there) halve the value. This should get you more throw on the pot, essentially making it "less loud" so that you can actually have a useable range.

Best of luck, let me know if you need some help.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"