Thread: Skullcandy headphones: Any good for studio use?

TFF Stage Crew

Skullcandy headphones: Any good for studio use?

The last set of headphones in my studio crapped out on me, so in a pinch I grabbed the Skullcandy earbuds from my iPod. They actually worked pretty good! I am wondering if anyone has any experience w/the larger 'phones made by the same company. Big cans on some of them, & they're not cheap, either. I wonder how they stack up against the specialty studio headphones more commonly seen at music stores.

Gravity Jim

Re: Skullcandy headphones: Any good for studio use?

No direct experience, but they seem to be more interested in fashion than audio. Couldn't find any of the "not cheap" ones: every pair I found on line was in the $30-$40 range. Do they make better ones?

For studio headphones that last, sound great, and do not wipe you out to listen to them, I always recommend Sony MDR 7506's. $82 through Amazon, under 100 anyplace.

TFF Stage Crew

The little earbuds I snagged were about $10 & they sound great. When I was picking up a spare set I noticed the big'uns. And yes, they are definitely more of a fashion statement. But if they are good I don't care what they look like. I'd rather pay less money for something.

i'd look into some sony's or something along those lines. i've listened to the skull candies, they are pleasing to the ear. if you're not mixing critically with them then that's okay, if you are, stay away from that.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I too really like my Skull Candy earbuds, but would probably not use 'em for anything other than a quick n dirty demo mix...I like 'cans' for more serious mixing...

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

I got the Skull Candy earphone recently for around 20 bucks... same reason my studio units need work and I also like earphones for the iPod etc... They are OK and are good for fill in at the price, but I am saving my nickels for another pair of good studio earphones.

TFF Stage Crew

Whatcha gonna get, Skip?

I recall seeing Skullcandy phones when I was shopping for headphones about a year ago. They were never displayed in a such a way that I could listen to them.
    I took Jim's advice and got a pair of the Sony MDR 7506's. I paid about $90.
    I was tired of the cheezy headphones that came w/some discman thing I had.
    The Sonys are great. Far more solidly put together than some of the more consumer grade options I looked at. They're comfy and sound great. No hyped lows or any of that audio razzle dazzle.
    Even I sound like me when I listen back to myself.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by 71818 View Post
    The little earbuds I snagged were about $10 & they sound great. When I was picking up a spare set I noticed the big'uns. And yes, they are definitely more of a fashion statement. But if they are good I don't care what they look like. I'd rather pay less money for something.

Well I have been looking at the Sony Headphones. I have a pair of Sony Professional but my oldest son has worn them out they were the Sony MDR 7506 Studio (not real expensive) and I am saving up for a little higher quality
    Sony MDR-7509HD Professional Large Diaphragm Foldable Studio Monotorin Since I listen to allot of music with headphones and also play music and listen with headphones to keep the peace around the hacienda I value clear and higher quality units... They even sound great with the I Pod.

Forum Member

I always enjoy finding out what others are using, especially when I need to upgrade. I just ordered a set from the bay, my 25+ year old audio technica are falling apart, and you have to hold the cable just right to make them work.
    Thanks for the advise!

The over-head parts of my Sennheiser HD280 Pros are now held together with electrical tape and the ear cup pads are ripping in a few spots. But I use them daily and fairly roughly (on, off, on, off, slam, on, off). I guess that means I like their supposedly somewhat strong lows - or at least have learned to mix around their inherant characteristics.

I know you're not supposed to mix through 'phones... but Skip's hacienda/peace issue affects me too.

Forum Member

Well, they came in today! Sony MDR-7506, $43.99 shipped, from a chinaman on E-Bay. Only listened to a little music from my computer here at work, but they sound great. Interesting that they are offset, (earphones are angled), bet they will be comfortable.
    Thanks again for the heads up.