Thread: Wow, what I have been missing all these years!

Wow, what I have been missing all these years!

All my life I hated the Telecaster. One look at that guitar told me I didn't want one. I mean, the thing was just ugly to me - maybe great for country music, but not much else. (Bear with me here.)

Then I played my friend's Tele. Holy cow - this is the best guitar I've ever played! Having been a Les Paul and PRS guy, I just didn't appreciate what Fender had to offer. So I started looking at Telecasters.

For my 50th birthday, my wife got me a new American Deluxe Telecaster and a Blues Jr. Well, it is more accurate to say I got her permission to go out and make the purchase since she had no idea what to do for my birthday. It has become my favorite guitar in the amount of time it took me to bring it home.

Now I know what I was missing all these years!

The required pics:

Add in the new Phaez MLP-35 amp and a pair of Scumback speakers, and it has been a nice 50th!

David
    '12 Am. Dlx Strat, 08 MIM Strat (modified), '11 Am. Dlx Tele, '09 PRS McCarty
    Phaez MLP-35, Fender Blues Jr., Vox NT, Blackstar HT-5
    Mesa TA-15, Rectifier Vertical 2X12
    Marshall JTM-1H, JMP-1H, JCM-1H

Re: Wow, what I have been missing all these years!

That's a beautiful, classic looking (and I'm sure it's classic sounding) rig!

I put off owning a Tele as well. We miss out when we judge a book by its cover!

Ain't that the truth! Looks, sounds and plays great. Then I learn how many players use a Telecaster - amazing what you learn when you open your eyes!

David

Forum Member

Im always happy when I get the tele out. Just cant get that sound with anything else.
    P e a c e KYC

Strat or Tele out of a 5E3 .

Forum Member

Nice!

I just saw those new Teles on Wildwood's site. Very cool axes. I just doubt my wife will be nearly as cool when I hit the big 50 in a few...

BTW, Happy Birthday!

Very nice tele, I am glad you like it cause that's what counts.

I was oscillating between this and a '52 AVRI, but someone bought the '52 which helped make my decision easier. I didn't care for the vintage bridge, but the '52 played awesome with that fat neck and was very light weight - something that's becoming more important as I get older!

However, I liked just about everything else about the American Deluxe better. Well, I would have liked the tweed case I assume the '52 came with, but otherwise this one is perfect for me. It needs a decent setup, but I'm very happy with it. Tonally, I'm getting to love the bright sound of a Tele.

David

TFF Stage Crew

Yes, for a long time I never "got" Telecasters. Then I spent some time on one. Now my Tele is in regular rotation & lately gets more play than my Strat.

Telecasters and tweed.

On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewolf View Post
    Ain't that the truth! Looks, sounds and plays great. Then I learn how many players use a Telecaster - amazing what you learn when you open your eyes!

David
    forget your eyes... open your ears.. i was in the same boat until recently... i wouldnt own a tele if you practically gave me the damn thing..

well finally i got over it and gigged for a weekend with a custom shop nocaster , and HOLY F*#%ING SHIT!!! it rules...

heres where i made my mistake.. my dad used to play country back in the day, and it felt like an ice pick to the eardrums... well me being the wise individual i am, didnt think much beyond the guitar. now it dawns on me that he was in the midst of the solid state craze, playing thru a peavey classic chorus 2-12. need i say more?

play one thru a dr. z or my kanewreck,,, SCHWIINNNNGGG!!! im in love!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tjsmith76 View Post
    forget your eyes... open your ears..
    That's what it comes down to - and how the Tele plays. That's what really matters.

Of course, you will note that I still bought a pretty Telecaster!

David

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewolf View Post
    That's what it comes down to - and how the Tele plays. That's what really matters.

Of course, you will note that I still bought a pretty Telecaster!

David

no bro,, i meant that in a good way... i hate how computers "come across" lol... i was just thinkin about this very thing earlier, wondering how a month ago i was not a tele fan at all,, now i cant put em down!!

oh and yes yours is way cool!!!

heres my new score!!

TFF Stage Crew

Yes, I want that

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 71818 View Post
    Yes, I want that
    ahh but it gets better...

im not talkin bout the coa... im talkin bout mcvay!!!! g-bendage baby!

How I can go from hating these guitars to thinking they are the best ones out there is beyond me, but I really feel that way at the moment. Granted, each guitar has its place, but right now the Telecaster is taking all my guitar playing time! Sounds like we think alike, Tj. You have one nice looking Tele as well.

You know what it took for me to love Teles???

The right amp. Playing a Tele through my Vibrolux Reverb with the amp's volume set at 3 did not do it for me! Getting a tweed Deluxe clone made the Tele work for me. I had the USACG T-Style that I built for a couple of years before getting my Deluxe clone. I never bonded with it and was even considering putting humbuckers in it! The Deluxe clone changed all that!

Since then, I bought a Mesa Express. This amp has gain and master volume controls on the clean and dirty channels so I can dirty and fatten the cleans up a bit. Also, I put a PPIV master volume control in my Vibrolux Reverb so now I can set the amp's volume at 7 and fit in with the band and also be able to practice at home while others are sleeping!

The amp makes the guitar!

Both The Kinks and G. E. Smith's sound had a lot to do with me falling for the Telecaster in the '80s.
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

I had the same kind of revelation when I played my G&L ASAT Special for the first time. I never thought a Tele would be so much fun.
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

Once I took the low E off and tuned to Open G, I was in love.

It's amazing how much getting a DRRI made my Tele sound so much better... (and every other guitar I own). I was using a Marshall AVT 100 and it sure sucked....
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Last year's Crossfyre gig at the Fair, I had a 50 watt Marshall AVT half-stack...well, I was heard so much better this year by going back to my Voxes...those AVTs sound great at home but don't cut it in a live environment, IMHO.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

It has no "voice". It is a super clean amp and when I run my Korg AX1500 through it it can replicate a lot of different sounds, but it has no influence on a guitar's sound (read sterile) compared to the DRRI (or my Hughes & Kettner 20th Anniversary amp for that matter - that's a real nice amp).
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by clayville View Post
    Once I took the low E off and tuned to Open G, I was in love.
    Indeed

Keef
    Last edited by TT100; 11-24-2011 at 06:12 AM.
    On SmartPhones: